Old 31-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Steve Harris

Default Fly Away and similar carrots supposedly resistant to root fly

Do these actually work?

Maybe someone has got a successful crop where other varieties failed? Or
maybe a horror story of a resistant variety riddled?

I've read the theory
I've read about the various other methods or avoiding damage.

Looking for practical experiences.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2004, 02:15 PM
John Towill

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:54 +0000 (GMT), Steve Harris wrote:

Do these actually work?

Maybe someone has got a successful crop where other varieties failed? Or
maybe a horror story of a resistant variety riddled?

I sowed flyaway in 2002, and the pests did everything except fly away with
them, though for all the use I had from them they might as well have. In
2003 I sowed under enviromesh, that certainly kept the crop disease free,
but it is a pain in the a**.
I watched the Gardeners World BBC prog. about allotments where the chap
kept them away by "earthing" up his carrots, but I really could not
understand the process.
Cheers
John T

--
All emails and attachments are virus checked
with Norton before transmission.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:11:47 +0000, John Towill
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:54 +0000 (GMT), Steve Harris wrote:

Do these actually work?

Maybe someone has got a successful crop where other varieties failed? Or
maybe a horror story of a resistant variety riddled?

I sowed flyaway in 2002, and the pests did everything except fly away with
them, though for all the use I had from them they might as well have. In
2003 I sowed under enviromesh, that certainly kept the crop disease free,
but it is a pain in the a**.
I watched the Gardeners World BBC prog. about allotments where the chap
kept them away by "earthing" up his carrots, but I really could not
understand the process.

I'm none too sure that I've ever had any CRF damage, but if it's of
any help I planted Sytan one year and had a lovely crop.

The established method of CRF control is to surround the crop with a
mesh wall, about a foot or so high. Apparently the CRF cruises at near
ground level, and will go around the mesh rather than up and over it.
CRF mesh is coarser than enviromesh, so it's a lot easier to handle.

The earthing up process increases the distance between the top of the
soil and the shoulder of the carrot - the idea being that the CRF
larvae can't make the journey.

Other tricks involve being careful not to crush any of the carrot
stalks when cultivating - the scent attracts the flies. Ensuring the
soil is wet when cultivating is supposed to help too.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk