Old 04-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Chris Boulby

Default National collection of Diascias

In message , Franz Heymann
writes
I see in another thread that Chris Boulby is the "curator" of the national
collection of Diaschias.

I have a question, which is applicable not only to that collection, but to
all collections of plants whose hardiness is somewhat on the iffy side:

Do you have to take cuttings annually of every variety in the collection in
order to be insured against winter losses, or is the collection kept under
glass? (Or both?)

Franz

Hi Franz,

I have about 120 species and cultivars, and I take cuttings every year,
twice a year (spring and autumn) as insurance. A National Collection
Holder is supposed to have three of every plant they own to guard
against disease and so on, but for half hardies, it is even more
important. I have four beds that I replant the collection into, about
April/May each year. They can be kept in whatever way is best for the
genus of plants - e.g. - if you have orchids, you keep them in pots
under glass (unless they are British natives of course). We have the NC
of sedums up here in the North East, and they are almost all kept in
pots, some outdoors, some in, depending on their hardiness.

(And anyone wanting to go down this route should have at least 75% of
the genus as listed in the latest Plantfinder and have had them for a
minimum of two years - nb it is not important whether there is already a
collection of the genus one is interested in, the more the merrier).

Because some are hardy and some not, I keep one 'set' of my diascias in
the greenhouse, another in the cold frame and the third is left in the
ground. And I make notes of what survives and what doesn't as well as
numerous other observations. Oh, and more important than anything else,
I sometimes give them away to trusted friends or botanic
gardens/nurseries so I can ask for them back if I lose any ;-)

Its a lot of paperwork - more than smarter gardeners would want to
contemplate. But I'm a collector, and that's what collectors do. We're
a bit of a weird lot really. I could go on and on, but I will spare
readers the boredom.

I've not been able to read this group for a long time due to commitments
like those mentioned above, but I'm retired now and so will try to start
contributing a little more.

Are there any other NC holders reading/contributing to the group?
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Old 04-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Boulby" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hello Chris,
I fail to see how anybody could possibly be bored with that most interesting
insight you gave us into the activities of a holder of a National
Collection.

What a rewarding task that is!

Good luck with your collection.

Franz

Old 04-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Chris wrote in message ...((snip))

Because some are hardy and some not, I keep one 'set' of my diascias in
the greenhouse, another in the cold frame and the third is left in the
ground. And I make notes of what survives and what doesn't as well as
numerous other observations. Oh, and more important than anything else,
I sometimes give them away to trusted friends or botanic
gardens/nurseries so I can ask for them back if I lose any ;-)

Interesting post Chris and the most interesting bit for me was that you keep
notes on what survives outside. So please tell which are the hardiest.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.