Old 08-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Snowdrops

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Some of the woodland round here are carpeted with snowdrops, and later,
with bluebells (Bucket type).

Woodland! I should be so lucky. Our recently planted wood has possibly
not been underplanted yet. We dont have too many woodlands as you know.
The local church yard has a fantastic display of Bluebells tho once it
comes.

Now's the time to start underplanting your new woodland. Don't wait
until the canopy closes over, you're just losing time :-). Here's what I
did with mine.

If you can beg clumps of snowdrops in the green, divide them into
single bulbs..even the tiny ones.. and keep the root ends in a pot of
water while you work. A fist sized clump will yield scores of bulbs.
Plant them between 6" and 12" apart in uneven drifts under the trees. A
sharp knife is extremely useful for the job as you can quickly make
hundreds of slits in the soil, drop in a bulb (deep is good, with
snowdrops) and close the slit with your foot. They will clump up within
a couple of years into a good flower display; keep digging up and
dividing a few clumps every year.

The easiest and most effective way to make a bluebell woodland carpet,
is by scattering freshly collected seed as soon as it's ripe (July, here
in Scotland).Anyone nearby who has a bluebell colony will normally give
consent for this; make sure the source is the native bluebell and not
the stiff Spanish one. Just mix it with some sand or old potting compost
to make it go further, and scatter it thinly wherever you want
bluebells. You don't need to prepare the area in any way or cover the
seeds; bluebells will germinate in weedy soil, grass etc, and pull
themselves down into the soil by their own roots. In the first spring
they germinate like grass; a few flowers will appear in the third year.
From then on, your colony is producing seed which you can use to extend
it.

Red campion and foxgloves are very easily naturalised the same way.
Foxgloves are biennial, so you need to scatter seed two years running to
obtain flowering continuity in the early years.

If you like celandines (I do) they can easily be spread by divided
roots, the new plants will seed freely so make sure you really want
them.

Janet.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes

It's all so relative, isn't it? Someone who has moved from a tiny terrace
or a flat with a window box will think one third of an acre is a large
garden and two acres an estate! ;-)

Our two acre garden 'employs' two gardeners near enough full time. When
they are not doing that, they fill in as cook/housekeeper and
chauffeur/general handyman etc. Fortunately they get on very well and
they greatly enjoy their rewarding lives of honest endeavour.

We don't call it the Good Life, we call it the better life! :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:34:49 -0000, Janice wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message news:BC2300F1.12F24%

Makes me think of the Gertrude Jekyll 'joke' that gets recycled here every
so often: "no matter how small your garden, always set aside an acre for
woodland". ;-)

I read yesterday that Prince Charles's Highrove "only" employs 10 gardeners.

It drives me wild when books or tv shows go on about "small" gardens and
then show something close to an acre. If only I could have such a "small"
garden!

I have an interesting book on garden design, "Garden Planning" by
W. S Rogers, published in 1910. As an English book from the
Edwardian era, it naturally falls under suspicion of Jekyllism
with respect to the definition of "small". Contrary to this
suspicion, however, most of the garden designs in it are for
quite small urban gardens, not the country estates of the filthy
rich.

I'm not sure how his suggested designs work out in practice, but
the plans don't look bad at all.

A book worth seeking out by those interested in garden design
issues.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

It's all so relative, isn't it? Someone who has moved from a tiny terrace
or a flat with a window box will think one third of an acre is a large
garden and two acres an estate! ;-)

Most people in this country think of one third of an acre as large!!!!

My garden is one of the largest in the town (I'm not sure there are any
which are larger) and extends the whole length of the adjoining street,
and yet is only one fifth of an acre.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

You'll be telling me you haven't got any mountains next.....

Your probably not aware of the plan printed in the Boston Standard one
year about building a mountain to introduce skiing to lincolnshire.

I`ll let you guess the date but it was a VERY convincing plan.

There's one at Beckton beside the A13 - was an old ash-heap from the
Beckton Gasworks, I think. I used to teach within a mile of that.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:18:50 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I don't know what the average garden size is in this country ...

My parents house, a fairly typical 1930's semi to the south of
Birmingham, has what was a standard plot 30' wide and 120' deep (or
there abouts). Looking at modern rabbit hutch sites these days your
lucky to get 20' x 30'.

We've got just over an acre but then we are well out in the sticks and
exposed at 1400' so growing anything but the hardiest of plants is
out. Most of that acre is rough grass and 800+ young mixed trees.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Trevor Appleton

Snowdrops out in a garden in Driffield, East Yorkshire yesterday. Large
leaves 'elwisii' perhaps? I'm not a Galanthophile, though would like to be,
but where on earth do you get the varietes?

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Pam Moore wrote in message
I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Trevor Appleton

Snowdrop Walk and open day Londesborough (Estate) near Market Weighton, East
Yorkshire. Two weekends mid/late Feb.

Pam Moore wrote in message
I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Pam in Bristol

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM