Old 05-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Pam Moore

Default Snowdrops

I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-01-2004, 07:33 PM
paghat

In article , Sacha
wrote:

Pam Moore5/1/04 3:58

I saw the first snowdrops today, in a front garden near me. 3 inches
tall and white buds erect. Mine in similar situation are not showing
yet.
Can't beat Robert's daffodils though!!

(between Bristol and Bath)

Our snowdrops are nowhere near flowering yet. Whoever planted them in this
garden must have loved them, because there are tens of thousands of them but
no *very* early ones. All seem to flower at different times and the ones
nearest to the house are only just coming through the grass.

My snowdrops are not near flowering either, but the Crocus laevigatus
fontenay is still blooming (started late in December) & Crocus ancyrensis
is well up & just getting ready. There are buds on "Chinese Lily"
Narcissus but this week is a major cold-snap so I worry those buds will be
ruined (this is a narcissus for forcing indoors, or for further south
gardens; it will USUALLY grow well on Puget Sound, but then we don't get
quite such cold winters every year, so I'm worrying for it this week). I
plant winter-blooming stuff though so that the wait for spring flowers
isn't painful, & right now the Cyclamen coums are full of magenta buds.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Our snowdrops are nowhere near flowering yet. Whoever planted them in this
garden must have loved them, because there are tens of thousands of them but
no *very* early ones. All seem to flower at different times and the ones
nearest to the house are only just coming through the grass.

I think they are my favourite flower.

No.

I know they are.

Oh yes, oh yes! More even than primroses, which run them close. I have
thousands here, and for me at least aspect seems to be the crucial
factor. Here, the ones in deepest shade are the ones which come
through earliest: the ones facing the sun will generally be the last
to poke through. This may seem crazy, I know; but I think it's about
freedom from frost: the ones which get most sun are also those which
are least sheltered from temperature variations.

There are, of course, plenty of natural variations and cultivars, as
well as several species; but I have no reason to believe that the ones
I have nurtured and spread about for a couple of decades aren't all
pretty much the same. I just love getting down on my knees to smell
them. Maybe I should have started a programme of selecting them for
flowering period and all that jazz; but I've always been content just
to let them rip, dividing the clumps from time to time. There is a
God, after all.

Mike.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
[...]
Yes, the snowdrop and the sound of a cathedral or college choir. God is
in his Heaven, and sharing a little bit of it.

Rev. Sidney Smith can keep his foie gras to the sound of trumpets....

He was such a show-off, that man: I myself would have found the
experience quite Hellish.

Mike.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains

--
Rusty

I`m with you there Rusty. I think it`s the fact that no matter how bad
the weather is, they pop up regular as clock work reminding us that
spring will soon be coming and that the cold and damp conditions will
give way to warmth and sunshine.

That and the fact they are so pretty.

Couple of good gardens are open on the 14th and 15th of Feb in Bourne so
might be of interest for you.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

I think they are my favourite flower.

No.

I know they are.

--
Rusty

I`m with you there Rusty. I think it`s the fact that no matter how bad
the weather is, they pop up regular as clock work reminding us that
spring will soon be coming and that the cold and damp conditions will
give way to warmth and sunshine.

That and the fact they are so pretty.

Couple of good gardens are open on the 14th and 15th of Feb in Bourne so
might be of interest for you.

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM