Old 06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
David Hill

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

Well since the candle light session before Xmas there has been no word that
I have heard from the gardens.

I wonder how many watched the "20" favourite holidays last week.
They gave Wales 1.5 million visitors that is North, Mid and south
combined........
Way above was Devon and Cornwall with 4 million which goes a long way to
explain why The Eden project get so many more visitors.
We have to remember that the gardens were set up as Botanic gardens not
primarily as a tourist attraction.

Lets just hope that the New Year brings some good news in some form or
another.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Howard Neil

David Hill wrote:

Well since the candle light session before Xmas there has been no word that
I have heard from the gardens.

I wonder how many watched the "20" favourite holidays last week.
They gave Wales 1.5 million visitors that is North, Mid and south
combined........
Way above was Devon and Cornwall with 4 million which goes a long way to
explain why The Eden project get so many more visitors.
We have to remember that the gardens were set up as Botanic gardens not
primarily as a tourist attraction.

Lets just hope that the New Year brings some good news in some form or
another.

There was a news item on teletext on Sunday,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3366715.stm seems the nearest item on
the BBC pages, that talks are proceeding with the "mystery potential
buyer" and that the redundancy notices, which were due to come into
effect on the 5th, would not be acted on at this stage. There may be
hope yet.

--
Howard Neil
Old 06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Howard Neil wrote in message .. .
David Hill wrote:

[...]

It ****es me off that the Wales Botanic Garden doesn't receive the
kind of support anything comparable in England would get. I voted for
the Welsh Assembly out of duty, not out of any belief that the
disgusting Taffia apparatchiks would suddenly get public-spirited;
maybe I should have voted against, just to remind the buggers who paid
for it all.

(I have serious reservations about the Eden Project: if you want to
grow bananas, why do you need to use unrenewable energy sources to do
it in a place which is marginal even for some varieties of apples?)

I'd urge English readers to consider a holiday round he apart from
the stunning Botanic Gardens, we have surfing, mountaineering,
archaeology, Celtic sites, the biggest wooden roller-coaster in the
world, and a Tesco you often take less than ten minutes to find a
parking-place in. For the terminally insane, world-renowned suicidal
mountain-biking and motor-rallying are on the doorstep; the best
sea-trout fishing in Europe (used to be the best in the world till
some prat introduced the devils to Argentina) and Carmarthen Bay holds
the record for rod-caught shark (Huh? Yes, that's right. They don't do
tourists, though; and I've more than once thrilled to watch the
local dolphins doing their murderous fishing routine no more than four
hundred yards from the shore). Seals haul out less than three miles
from Carmarthen town.

We're a knockout: pop over and see.

Mike.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:35 PM
David Hill

"..................I'd urge English readers to consider a holiday round
he apart from the stunning Botanic Gardens, we have surfing,
mountaineering, archaeology, Celtic sites, the biggest wooden roller-coaster
in the world, and a Tesco you often take less than ten minutes to find a
parking-place in. For the terminally insane, world-renowned suicidal
mountain-biking and motor-rallying are on the doorstep; the best sea-trout
fishing in Europe (used to be the best in the world till some prat
introduced the devils to Argentina) and Carmarthen Bay holds the record for
rod-caught shark (Huh? Yes, that's right. They don't do tourists, though;
and I've more than once thrilled to watch the local dolphins doing their
murderous fishing routine no more than four hundred yards from the shore).
Seals haul out less than three miles from Carmarthen town........."

Not to mention Clyne gardens .........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest...es/clyne.shtml

The Gower........
http://www.explore-gower.co.uk/

The Brecon Beacons........
http://www.brecon-beacons.com/

And of course ALL the wonderful gardens to be found in Wales
http://www.gardenvisit.com/m/wales.htm ( This one is worth saving).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Gareth Jones

In message , David Hill
writes
And of course ALL the wonderful gardens to be found in Wales

Interesting.

I'm almost not certain if I should post this...... but on new years day,
the NBGOW were putting on three free guided tours of the gardens. I
thought it would be good to go. So I did as the website suggested and
phoned up to book two places in case it got busy .

I needn't have bothered. Ok, so I only live 15 min away and I chose the
'early' 11am tour. How many other people do you think were there for
this tour apart from the other half and I ??
None.
I couldn't believe it!

People - we need to support this place more! It was a nice interesting
day even in the middle of winter. In the summer, its fabulous, and its
going to get better... and better ...and better.....

maybe we're the only people who didn't suffer a hangover and could make
it that early!?!

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Nick Wagg

Mike Lyle wrote:

I'd urge English readers to consider a holiday round here...

I have been holidaying in Wales for over 40 years and love it,
although good weather is a matter largely of luck. Sadly while
the state of footpaths for roaming over the Welsh countryside
seems to be in terminal decline, noisier pursuits such as the
use of jet-skis and off-roading are on the up. It seems to me
that the Welsh tourist trade is trying to attract a different
breed of customer while neglecting those who already know and
love the country.
--
Nick Wagg
Old 08-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Andy Hunt

(I have serious reservations about the Eden Project: if you want to
grow bananas, why do you need to use unrenewable energy sources to do
it in a place which is marginal even for some varieties of apples?)

Ever seen the early '70s science fiction classic "Silent Running" . . . ?
Lovely soundtrack by Joan Baez . . . if you've seen it you'll understand the
relevance to the Eden Project.

As for Wales - CYMRU AM BYTH!!!!!

Andrew