Old 07-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Anne Jackson

Default Got me seeds today

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

I have a redundant sunbed in the attic. Could the light problem be
overcome,
if I was to rig that up and bypass the automatic time control?

If you substituted daylight bulbs/tubes, I expect so. What are you
thinking of growing? Cacti? Olives? Merulas?

Texas Bluebonnets.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 07-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

PS. I always forget, is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

You'll have to ask the EC.

Apparently, carrots are now fruit.....

That is only following a UK precedent. The Ministry of Food was
very keen on treating them as fruit in the 1940s.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
You'll have to ask the EC.

Apparently, carrots are now fruit.....

That is only following a UK precedent. The Ministry of Food was
very keen on treating them as fruit in the 1940s.

The tale I heard was - jam is made from fruit, the Portuguese make
carrot jam, therefore carrot is a fruit.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
You'll have to ask the EC.

Apparently, carrots are now fruit.....

That is only following a UK precedent. The Ministry of Food was
very keen on treating them as fruit in the 1940s.

The tale I heard was - jam is made from fruit, the Portuguese make
carrot jam, therefore carrot is a fruit.

That is what I heard, whether or not it is true.

What is not said by the people who quote it is that, until we joined
the EU, it was perfectly legal (in the UK) to describe a conserve made
out of turnips and woodchips and describe it as "100% natural raspberry
jam". It may even have been legal to describe it as "100% pure fruit
raspberry jam".

The nasty-minded EU infringed the liberty of people to do that. Quite
disgraceful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.