Old 08-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Denise

Default Any rose experts here?

Hi all-

I have four wonderful Don Juan climbing roses growing along scalloped
picket fencing. I've had them three years. The first two years, by
winter time, all the leaves had fallen off. I remember reading somewhere
that leaves should be removed to help discourage black spot. I figured
the leaves would fall off by themselves again BUT here it is January
with snow on the ground and frigid temps and the canes are full of
leaves!

Back in late November, I had mulched around the roses and used an anti
fungus spray. Am I asking for trouble leaving all that foliage on the
roses? Should I remove them now? Thanks for any help :-)

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Dwayne

I was told to remove all leaves that had spots on them and burn them or
otherwise dispose of them. Not to use them for mulch or composting.
However, I am no expert on roses. You might get onto newsgroup
rec.gardens.roses and see what they have to say.

Dwayne

Old 09-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Denise

Thanks, Dwayne. I know about disposing of the leaves that have spots on
them and have done so in the past.

These are all healthy looking foliage on the canes now.

I did take a look at the newsgroup you mentioned and there's not much
happening in that group at all. Guess I'll do a search for the info.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Trevor Appleton

Can I add a query here?

Will it be OK ti tar oil winter wash when there are still leaves on the
roses?

Trevor
East Yorkshire