Old 12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
IMM

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

IMM wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

I have been reading about the immense progress being made in fuel cell
technology for more than twenty years now. Why are they not yet in

daily
use in every household?

Why isn't every new and rennovated houses built to superinsulation and
passive solar standards, virtually eliminating a heating system? Not

rocket
science and many examples are all over the world right now, so not airy
fairy ideas at all. It would cost the taxpayer nothing to implement.

Because super insulation is useless without other means to reduce
ventilation losses.

It is not useless. As you know, superinsulated and air-tight homes have
heat recovery and vent in them, rendering your criticism rather silly.

You need things like heat exchanges on ventilation - this gets very
expensive.

As there will be no full heating system this serves as the heating system
too, to top up the heating when it is rarely required. Not expensive at
all, when looking at the total cost of a house.

It is arguable that the energy used to build all this stuff doesn't
get paid back in a sensible timescale.

It is arguable, but an argument lost. And as the topic is emissions etc,
from a global view, this is a way of drastically reducing emissions,
reducing fossil fuel usage and eliminating fuel poverty, besides the
comfortable environment it creates.

Curemnt insulation levels are at around
ten times what they were in say
the 1950's, with windows being perhpas
3 times better.

Insulation was only mandatory in the UK from 1974. The insulation levels
currently are dire, but are being ramped to something acceptable soon. We
need a quantum leap, not staged pussy footing. Superinsulation and passive
solar can be implemented right now

We are reaching teh law of diminishing returns on insulation.

We are reducing the emissions drastically, eliminating fuel poverty, and
reducing millions of damp and cold related diseases, which is what counts.

---

Old 12-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Hang a cable out of the window, or *gasp* build undergroung parking
areas with electrical sockets?

If you're going to build underground car parks for all city cars that
haven't their own off road parking, wouldn't it make much more sense to
spend the money on extending the tube network and making it cheap/free?
An electric car is only suitable for city use and will do nothing for
congestion.

Or charge them up in supermarket car parks etc etc.

I only go to the supermarket on a day when I can be in and out in an hour.

You CAN fully charge a lithium car in about an hour, but you need
specailsed charging facilities to do it safely.

Apart from the fortune needed to buy and replace such a battery for car
use.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:37:52 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

[snip]

I've said it before in another forum: if you bothered to use a
spellchecker, your posts would be readable. It takes too long to

reply
yo one of your posts point-by-point.

That is the neatest way of ducking out of a losing argument I have ever
seen.

True. On the other hand, you must admit that your typing is every bit as
bad as mine.

I find your typos more amusing Franz.

Thanks. Noblesse oblige

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"IMM" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Because there have been minor improvements in a flawed highly

inefficient
piston engine design over the past 30 years, you appear to think this
exonerates the internal combustion engine, or it is efficient or clean

or
something. It is NOT.

The engine it at the end of its lifespan, it should have gone 50 years

ago.

snip

As I mentioned in another post, according to MIT the fuel cell is not

viable
yet for vehicles, which are the world's worst polluters.

Far more efficient Rotary and Stirling diesel and petrol units appear

the
best options to fill the gap. The Stirling is external combustion,

which is
much a clean on the burn. Even the Rev Tec Aussie engine, a piston

engine,
improves thermal efficiency from 25% to over 50%.

What you have failed to realise, is that even these are only stopgaps

too.

It is obvious that I know that, as I have already said that.

At the very best, a fuel BURNING engine delivers only 60%

efficiency - maybe a little more. The rest is waste heat.

If you had goine to a snotty uni, where
the theory is taught, you would
understand that any heat engine - and
all the above are heat engines -
has its efficiency dictated by the ratio
of the temperature of burn to
the echaust temperature.

Not quite right. The overall mechanical efficiency of the unit has to be

up
to it. Also in road engine, the power to weight ratio is one of the most
important factors.

The big picture is about energy conservation, especially in terms of
waste heat, and the irreversible (in the short to medium term) problem
if taking fossilised carbon out of the ground and pumping it into the ai

r.

To solve that you need to

- use less.
- burn plants you grew last year.
- generate power by means that don't generate waste heat OR
- use waste heat to replace the use of fuel elsewhere (CHP)

..and use less fuel cleanly.

Use of the engines described does not solve any of these apart from, in
a minor way, the first.

I did say in the short to medium term the diesel and gasoline engines will
have to do, but there are far more efficient versions around than the
abomination we all currently use.

Fuel cells can solve many of the above, but in the end. electricity is
bets because it generates very little waste heat when used to generate
mechanial motion.

It is the loses at generation and transmission losses. This can be

reduced
by having smaller local power stations, the UK had, using natural, using

CHP
to heat the local district.

The indirect transmision losses involved in shovelling large numbers of
loads of small amounts of fuel to thousands of small power stations all over
the country are vastly greater than the transmission losses in power cables.

Transmission losses then are low and overall
energy efficient is very high. Sweden do this.

I bet they have not looked carefully enough at the costs and energy
efficiencies of such a policy, unless they are in a position in which the
fuel is naturally available dispersed all over the country.

The issues then become how to generate electricity without using fossil
fuel and/or heat engines. Feul cells are not heat engines, but usually
use fossil fuel. Nuclear power doesn't use fossil fuel, but does use a
heat engine. windmills do neither, but are ugly, of variable power, and
woefully inefficient in terms of space used.

"woefully inefficient in terms of space used"? You see cows grazing under
them. They can be in the middle of fields and only occupy a small

footprint.
There are windmill farms being built off-shore all over the UK right now,
Out of sight.

Sadly, incapable of producing anything more than a negligible amout of
power.

Water and wave power does
neither, but is localised as to its applicability. solar cells are even
ore woefully inneficient,

Wet solar panels generally inefficient per squ foot,

You should not use such a meaningless term in a discussion which is more or
less scientifically based. Efficiency is defined as power out/power in.
There is no room for a subsidiary phrase "per square foot".

but have the whole of a
south facing roof being a solar panel and the by shear size you have an
efficient collector, that will virtually provide all of the houses needs

if
you can store the heat in a large thermal store

Put PV cells on every south facing roof and most of the power generation
station will not be needed. The solutions are there. It needs political
will to force it through.

Unfortunately the economics are still wrong. Very wrong. Otherwise they
would have been in use by more than the afficionados.

but there mat be better technology coming..
burning domestc rubbish and biomass is
good as it doesn't use (much)
fossil fuel - i.,e. it's more or less carbon neutral,
but it does tend to need treatement to reduce
pollution of toxic flue gasses.

There is no easy answer. But simply slightly better heat engines
burining fossil fuils are almost the worst of all possible answers.

On the domestic and commercial build front, insulation levels to
superinsulation, passive solar design of homes, as Germany as doing with
Passiv Solar regs, south facing roofs having integrated wet solar/PV

cells,
boiler with integrated CPH elec/gas Stirling boilers and soon to be
introduced. The Stirling CPH boilers cut the peaks of electricity usage.
All this is right now, and can and should be implemented. Doing so will
drastically cut fuel usage and emissions and prevent fuel poverty. And mo

re
efficiency is on the way...

What looks promising and appear likely to be introduced is the Zeolithe

heat
pump, which runs on natural gas for the provision of domestic heating and
hot water. Currently these units are floor mounted and resemble a typical
boiler in appearance. Zeolithe heating appliance's use less energy and

are
more environment-friendly than electric heat pumps and gas boilers. It
provides considerably higher output levels than the current conventional

and
condensing boilers. Carbon-dioxide emissions are reduced by approximately
20 to 30%.

On the vehicle side, matters are more complex. Of course, local CHP power
stations drip charging electric car overnight is very sensible, but we do
not have the infrastructure for this, as yet. Also what do you do in a
city, when you car is parked on the road? How do you charge it?

You should not have a car if having one means the appropriation of public
highway space for your exclusive use.
Or do folk who misuse roads in this way pay rent to the local authority?

There are far more efficient diesel and gasoline engines around, and are
running. These can be developed fully and integrated into a hybrid setup.
Another method suggested is waste heat from an advanced rotary engine (not
an inefficient Wankel design) which has well over 50% efficiency, driving

small Stirling engine from its waste heat, which drives a compressor,

which
charges an air tank.

The compressed air assists drive via an air motor in a
hybrid setup. This is a fine stop gap, and around town the car can run on
non-polluting air, which is generated from what would have been wasted

heat.
The whole setup can be small in size as rotary engines are small and a
compressor/air motors is also small. The compressor can also be the

starter
motor too.

And how many folk are gong to be trained to be proficient in servicing such
a vastly complicated object?

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:37:53 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I am truly surprised that some such object has not yet been developed. I
wonder if anybody has reckoned the energy economics in my case, where I

have
to take my newspapers and junk mail by car to the nearest collection

point.

Why don't you compost them?

Too much junk, too little garden, too old to shove compost around.

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

Franz Heymann wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

I have read a report one experimental fuel cell unit installed in

Holland,

where it was mentioned that "At the point of shutdown, the unit was

also
sustaining a power generating efficiency of more than 46 percent,

well
above
a conventional combustion-based power plant that typically generates
electricity at efficiencies of 33 to 35 percent".

That is typical of an old station running coal or gas, built to 60's
standards. Noit a modern set.

The report was quite recent, like a couple of years old.

*shrug* maybe people aren't too bothered about efficiency and still
build cheap gas powered sets.

*more shrug* Maybe 60% is reached in the occasional "flagship" power
station. I think it is exceptional.

[snip]

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Hang a cable out of the window, or *gasp* build undergroung parking
areas with electrical sockets?

If you're going to build underground car parks for all city cars that
haven't their own off road parking, wouldn't it make much more sense to
spend the money on extending the tube network and making it cheap/free?
An electric car is only suitable for city use and will do nothing for
congestion.

That is simply not so.

With 300 mile range and potentially one hour fast charge from flat, it
would be ideal for rural use and commuting.

What it won't do is 16 hour 1000 mile journeys...

Or charge them up in supermarket car parks etc etc.

I only go to the supermarket on a day when I can be in and out in an hour.

You CAN fully charge a lithium car in about an hour, but you need
specailsed charging facilities to do it safely.

Apart from the fortune needed to buy and replace such a battery for car
use.

Yes. That is the only issue left IMHO. But I would suspect you would not
replace all teh battery - simply those cells that were below standard.

That would essentially be the major part of every 'service'

Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
IMM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

It is the loses at generation and transmission
losses. This can be reduced by having smaller
local power stations, the UK had them, using
natural gas, using CHP to heat the local district.

The indirect transmision losses involved in
shovelling large numbers of loads of small
amounts of fuel to thousands of small power
stations all over the country are vastly greater
than the transmission losses in power cables.

Not if the fuel is in natural gas pipelines.

Transmission losses then are low and overall
energy efficient is very high. Sweden do this.

I bet they have not looked carefully
enough at the costs and energy
efficiencies of such a policy, unless
they are in a position in which the
fuel is naturally available dispersed
all over the country.

The last time I looked, there were highly viable.

The issues then become how to generate electricity without using

fossil
fuel and/or heat engines. Feul cells are not heat engines, but

usually
use fossil fuel. Nuclear power doesn't use fossil fuel, but does use a
heat engine. windmills do neither, but are ugly, of variable power,

and
woefully inefficient in terms of space used.

"woefully inefficient in terms of space used"?
You see cows grazing under them. They can
be in the middle of fields and only occupy a small
footprint. There are windmill farms being built off-shore
all over the UK right now, Out of sight.

Sadly, incapable of producing anything more
than a negligible amout of power.

The UK is aiming for 25% of its power generation by wind. CHP Stirling
boilers are also envisaged to fill gaps too.

Water and wave power does
neither, but is localised as to its applicability. solar cells are

even
ore woefully inneficient,

Wet solar panels generally inefficient per squ foot,

You should not use such a meaningless
term in a discussion which is more or
less scientifically based.

??? You can get high efficient wet solar panels, but they are "very"
expensive. Flat plate collectors are a lot less efficient.

Efficiency is defined as power out/power in.
There is no room for a subsidiary phrase
"per square foot".

You should understand how flat plate collectors work.

but have the whole of a
south facing roof being a solar
panel and the by shear size you have an
efficient collector, that will virtually provide
all of the houses needs if you can store
the heat in a large thermal store

Put PV cells on every south facing roof
and most of the power generation
station will not be needed. The solutions are
there. It needs political will to force it through.

Unfortunately the economics are still wrong. Very wrong. Otherwise they
would have been in use by more than the afficionados.

The economics "now" are wrong. Political will, will force it through and
mass production will reduce components accordingly to a point it is
feasible. It is the kick-start that is required.

There are far more efficient diesel and gasoline
engines around, and are running. These can
be developed fully and integrated into a hybrid setup.
Another method suggested is waste heat from
an advanced rotary engine (not an inefficient
Wankel design) which has well over 50% efficiency,
driving a small Stirling engine from its waste heat,
which drives a compressor, which charges an air tank.

The compressed air assists drive via an air motor in a
hybrid setup. This is a fine stop gap, and around
town the car can run on non-polluting air, which
is generated from what would have been wasted
heat. The whole setup can be small in size as
rotary engines are small and a compressor/air
motors is also small. The compressor can also
be the starter motor too.

And how many folk are gong to be trained
to be proficient in servicing such
a vastly complicated object?

Complicated? None of that is complicated at all. A lot less complicated
than the current petrol IC engine/electric motor hybrids.

---

Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
IMM

Franz Heymann wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

The point is that it is achievable.

---

Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Franz Heymann wrote:

*shrug* maybe people aren't too bothered about efficiency and still
build cheap gas powered sets.

*more shrug* Maybe 60% is reached in the occasional "flagship" power
station. I think it is exceptional.

Yes, but in the conxtext of hugely expensive and very new technology
fuel cells, one should compare like with like.

ould it coset less to build a 60% efficint CCP or a 40% efficient fuel
cell station?

Remember that the fuel cell produces DC, which needs to be chopped and
flitered to feed the grid. Or a rotary conertor. All this adds to teh
cost as well.

I hope we do see cheap efficient fuel cells, but they have been around
snce the 60's AFAICR, and never caught on. Lithium cells have obnly
really been devleoped in teh tast ten years or so, and have swept the
marjket where their cots/weiht/energy profiles havce made them 'the best
in class'

[snip]

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz wrote in message after me...
[snip]

Much more efficient to burn the hydrogen in a reciprocating (or

rotary)
engine than to convert it through a fuel cell to run an electric

motor,
though electrically propelled vehicles do have the potential to

convert
the slowing down process back into usable power.

Totally wrong, and ever heard of regenerative braking,

Evidently he had, as evinced in the paragraph you described as "totally
wrong".

The rotary engines we have developed have all proved less efficient in
practice than the old reciprocating engine (check fuel consumption) which
is why only Mazda persist with them and then in only one vehicle in their
range. Controlling pollution from them has been a major problem too.
Fuel Cells (chemical batteries) are much more efficient at converting
chemical energy to electricity than burning it in any way, be it steam
powered turbines or reciprocating engines. It's why it is expected that
Power Generation will follow the Fuel Cell route idc.

As far as regenerative braking is concerned he mentioned Electrically
Propelled Vehicles, I've not seen a normal coach powered in such a way.
Normal diesel engined coaches have had brake generators for years.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

Dave Plowman wrote:

If you're going to build underground car parks for all city cars that
haven't their own off road parking, wouldn't it make much more sense to
spend the money on extending the tube network and making it cheap/free?
An electric car is only suitable for city use and will do nothing for
congestion.

That is simply not so.

With 300 mile range and potentially one hour fast charge from flat, it
would be ideal for rural use and commuting.

Yes,indeed, it would. It is, I agree, a more realistic target than
breeding flying pigs.

2) The petrol used in 300 miles by a typical modern car contains
about 1 GJoule. If we assume a factor of two higher efficiency, then
charging in an hour needs 140 KW. A standard domestic power circuit
is rated at 7 KW. You have a factor of 20 to make up.

Dammit, a CYCLIST will expend some 20 MJoules in 300 miles. Recharging
that in an hour needs 6 KW! There is NO WAY that you will design a car
to be as efficient as a cyclist, despite the motor lobby propaganda.

2) Despite claims, such devices would NOT help with congestion to
a detectable degree.

You CAN fully charge a lithium car in about an hour, but you need
specailsed charging facilities to do it safely.

You need specialised facilities to charge the damn things at all, at
any rate. The necessity for fancy protection mechanisms is one of the
reasons that they are expensive.

Please could you take this stuff to a newsgroup (a) where people are
knowledgable about this sort of thing and (b) where it is on group?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:31 PM
IMM

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

The rotary engines we have developed have
all proved less efficient in practice than the
old reciprocating engine (check fuel consumption)
which is why only Mazda persist with them and
then in only one vehicle in their range. Controlling
pollution from them has been a major problem too.

Mazda make a number of cars with rotary engines, but not sold here. The
Wankle is best suited to high revving applications, hence the sports car.
The RX8 is an improved rotary and of only 1300cc giving 225 HP. See if a
1300cc piston engine can deliver that. Also these engines are physically
small with a very high power to weight ratio.

They are best suited to high revving applications. That is why they are
used in light aircraft. The Norton motorbike rotary (which improved the
design too) was sold of to two concerns. One makes it for light aircraft
and the other for target drone aircraft, requiring a small heat and sound
signature, which end up at the bottom of the sea.

The Russians make two rotary engines: one for a plane and the other is used
(well two of them) in a helicopter, which is an ideal application for this
unit.

The "Wankle" design of rotary is flawed to what is acheivable, (Wankle never
invented the rotary) and far newer and improved designs are in development.
Again the Russians just reversed an idea that is the reverse of the wankel.
Instead of an elliptical chamber and triangular rotor, it is the reverse.
The seals are in the engine block, and can be readily and super easily
changed if necessary. The mixed gas input is via the rotor, which is the
equivalent of injecting the mixture via the piston in a piston engine.

The Canadians have the Qusiturboine, a sort of rotary and turbine together
which has received good press. Here are some web sites on concept engines
and some that are in development
http://conceptengine.tripod.com/

http://www.deadbeatdad.org/eliptoid/

All it needs is a big maker to adopt one of the concepts and run with it.

---