Old 12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Conservatory vine

Some types of vine produce small grapes and some types produce big
grapes.

LOL almost as dry as the end result!!!

What do mean LOL?
It was a serious answer.

Sorry - I thought you were being 'dry'. My mistake!

Andrew

Old 12-01-2004, 07:07 PM
martin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:00:35 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

My feeling is that height above
sea level could be a factor. Northern European vines seem to do well on
high ground, but we are only a few feel above sea level and that could
make the difference.

I am 80 cm above sea level, I don't think altitude is relevant to vine
growing. I know of vines growing well, below sea level.
--
Martin

Old 13-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

The French advocate a dead donkey. (It supplies slow-release phosphates.)

I thought that was for a fig tree?

May hold good for that too - their needs seem similar to me, and too
much nitrogen hooters-up both.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I am 80 cm above sea level,

So most of you is waterlogged - 'splains a lot.

I don't think altitude is relevant to vine
growing. I know of vines growing well, below sea level.

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Old 13-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Pete Griffiths

Phew - thanks all for your responses. I will definitely go for it.

Pete

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Pete Griffiths" contains these

words:

We currently have a new conservatory under construction, and have been

given
a vine (no idea what variety!). There are no planting holes in the

floor,
but I have heard that a useful alternative is to plant the vine outside
against the wall, and train it through a hole into the conservatory. The
hole would be large enough to accept the girth of the vine when matured,

and
would be packed with foam or a similar material in the meantine. Is this

sensible approach? (One of my concerns is mice!)

Vines should always be planted outside a conservatory, and it is better
too, to plant them outside a greenhouse.

Mouse access could be a problem. Some perforated zinc pieces cut so they
overlap and get pushed out as the stem thickens might be an answer.

Old 13-01-2004, 07:13 PM
martin

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:53:11 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:40:52 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Have you sort medical help? :-)

What sort of medical help?

a notional truss?
--
Martin
Old 14-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Have you sort medical help? :-)

What sort of medical help?

a notional truss?

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Old 15-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Boo! Hiss!

What's a goose got to do with it?

Old 15-01-2004, 09:43 PM
martin

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:00:13 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Boo! Hiss!

What's a goose got to do with it?

take a gander.
--