Old 12-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Steve Harris

Default In praise of Jersey Kale

This is a non-curly kale that's claimed to grow very tall - 17' is the
record and they make walking sticks out of the stems on Jersey.

Mine has grown to about 5' and I've started eating it. It has a lot of
young leaves and the trick is to harvest them at about 4" long and steam
them for about 5 minutes. The result is something that's got a strong
but not bitter cabbage taste.

Worth growing as an edible novelty. Caution: If your grows much bigger
than mine, you'll need a step ladder to harvest it!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Tim Challenger

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Sacha

Tim Challenger12/1/04 2:17
pm"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"70a19872aa 2fc1adf53c7c1417c3af6e@new
s.teranews.com

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up. OTOH, you could
ring the people in Jersey for their opinion.
And yes, it's real. Traditionally, the walking sticks are finished with a
Jersey coin set into the top.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up.

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

Sorry, I thought it had been given upthread: Brassica Oleracea Longata
There is a story that they originated in La Vendee in France. Having cut
down the cabbage, you dry the stem for a year until it hardens and then
varnish it. I think Chilterns have the seeds.

Ah, many thanks for that, Sacha.

Old 13-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Tim Challenger12/1/04 2:17
pm"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"70a19872aa 2fc1adf53c7c1417c3af6e@new
s.teranews.com

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up. OTOH, you could
ring the people in Jersey for their opinion.
And yes, it's real. Traditionally, the walking sticks are finished with a
Jersey coin set into the top.

ISTR from a seed catalogue that they grow better in warmer climates.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I think Chilterns have the seeds.

They used to.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

high quality nhl jersey ice jersey Cheap high quality fashionwear11 Gardening 0 08-05-2010 04:14 AM
In Praise of Filed Beans Steve Harris United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 07:02 AM
In Praise of Own-roots--and Austins! Shiva Roses 12 08-07-2003 04:08 PM
In Praise of Harkness Theo Asir Roses 2 13-05-2003 10:56 PM
Transplanting Jersey Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 10:20 PM