Old 15-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Jay

Default OT how to stop cross posted messages

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

Old 15-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Mike

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

Why?

Ones learns a lot from some cross posting. Just ignore that you do wish to
see :-))

Mike

Old 15-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Reid

Following up to Jay

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I did use a bolt on piece of software to do this for a while but
it slowed downloads to a snails pace and some crossposts are
valid, so I now just block the loony threads as they come up. Its
easier and quicker.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 15-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Martin Sykes

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

I use NetProxy/NewsProxy. It's a bit tricky to set up initially but you can
define rules to block posts which are crossposted etc. The only problem is
when some helpful sole replies to the message without crossposting it at
which point you pick up the thread and all the rubbish in it.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 15-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Steve Harris

In article , (Mike)
wrote:

Just ignore that you do wish to
see :-))

Yeah! Just hit delete and stop moaning about all that lovely spam! :-)

Old 15-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

That sounds a good idea Jay until someone crossposts, and I've done it, to
two or three Ng's where the question/answer is relevant and valid on every
one and the topic needs opening up to others beside Gardeners for a better
understanding.

By blocking crossposts you could miss something good.

Although if you were to stop crossposts to ,say, more than five Ng's you
might kill the rubbish without loosing the good stuff. I just ignore the
rubbish (unless I want to draw the troll out from under their bridge).

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.

Old 15-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jay" contains these words:

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I haven't had OE on any of my boxen since I heaved it out from Win 3.11,
so if you're going to continue using it, no.

However, have a look at www.zetnet.com and if you want to come and play
with ZIMACS as your mail/news client, yes I can.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 15-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Trevor Appleton

Jay wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

Old 15-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk
contains these words:

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

look at the headers.

Old 16-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk wrote in
message ...

Jay wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

Which software do you use to access the internet?
If it is Outlook Express, look in the grey rectangle above the message, in
the line saying "Newsgroups"

Franz

Old 16-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz wrote in message ...
Which software do you use to access the internet?
If it is Outlook Express, look in the grey rectangle above the message, in
the line saying "Newsgroups"

He uses the Outlook Express version 5 if you look. Now how did we know that
Trevor? :-)

Old 17-01-2004, 12:14 PM
JennyC

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

In Outlook :
- hit 'reply group'
- remove de names of the groups you don't want to reply to in the 'newsgroups'
box at the top of your screen
- leave uk.rec.gardening only :~))

Jenny