GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Germination of Gentians (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50379-germination-gentians.html)

Victoria Clare 16-01-2004 10:47 AM

Germination of Gentians

(posting a second time as the first one doesn't seem to have made it)

I am experimenting with growing alpine gentians from seed this year.

I sowed the seed in a tray in my unheated greenhouse, thinking that this
would probably be cold enough to count as 'chilling' - I do usually get ice
on the inside of the glass at least a few times over the winter.

However, this winter seems to be continuing remarkably mild, and it's just
not getting all that cold in my greenhouse, (or even outside it).

Should I pop the seed tray into the fridge for a few weeks? I just about
have room for it now that the festive season is over ;-)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Tim Challenger 16-01-2004 11:11 AM

Germination of Gentians

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:41:55 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

(posting a second time as the first one doesn't seem to have made it)

I am experimenting with growing alpine gentians from seed this year.

I sowed the seed in a tray in my unheated greenhouse, thinking that this
would probably be cold enough to count as 'chilling' - I do usually get ice
on the inside of the glass at least a few times over the winter.

However, this winter seems to be continuing remarkably mild, and it's just
not getting all that cold in my greenhouse, (or even outside it).

Should I pop the seed tray into the fridge for a few weeks? I just about
have room for it now that the festive season is over ;-)

Victoria

I've got a pack of alpine gentian seeds for xmas. There it says:
2 weeks at 15-20C then to put them in the fridge for 5 weeks (not the
freezer!)
then a couple of weeks back at 15-20C.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Franz Heymann 16-01-2004 02:33 PM

Germination of Gentians

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.24...
(posting a second time as the first one doesn't seem to have made it)

I am experimenting with growing alpine gentians from seed this year.

I sowed the seed in a tray in my unheated greenhouse, thinking that this
would probably be cold enough to count as 'chilling' - I do usually get

ice
on the inside of the glass at least a few times over the winter.

However, this winter seems to be continuing remarkably mild, and it's just
not getting all that cold in my greenhouse, (or even outside it).

Should I pop the seed tray into the fridge for a few weeks? I just about
have room for it now that the festive season is over ;-)

Many years ago I grew gentians (I forget the species) from seed. The ones I
had kept in the fridge (not the freezer) for a month germinated far better
than ones just left in a cold frame.

Franz