GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Celeriac, what am I doing wrong? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50392-celeriac-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

Alan Holmes 16-01-2004 06:14 PM

Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

Last night I watched Delia, yes, I know it's sad, but that's the way I am!

She was talking about cooking vegetables, and one of them was
celeriac, during the programme she picked up one she was using
and it was HUGE, about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.

Now, mine are between 1.5 and 2.5 inches.

So am I digging them too soon?

Should they be left to grow on another season?

Or is it something else?

Alan

M K Rogerson 16-01-2004 06:35 PM

--

Alan, I've tried several times and cannot produce supermarket sized roots.
Best I've managed was about half the shop size. I gave up and just buy them

Martin R

Alan Gould 16-01-2004 07:19 PM

Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

In article , M K Rogerson
writes
Alan, I've tried several times and cannot produce supermarket sized roots.
Best I've managed was about half the shop size. I gave up and just buy them
now. If you haven't tried Celeriac chips you need to do it now!

Celeriac need a very long growing season. Get them started early
(Feb./Mar.) and keep them growing on [without pushing them] through
until late autumn. Once they are mature, they can stand in situ to ripen
if the weather is not too cold and wet.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Eur Ing John Rye 17-01-2004 10:07 AM

Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

Hello All

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , M K Rogerson
writes
Alan, I've tried several times and cannot produce supermarket sized roots.
Best I've managed was about half the shop size. I gave up and just buy them
now. If you haven't tried Celeriac chips you need to do it now!

Celeriac need a very long growing season. Get them started early
(Feb./Mar.) and keep them growing on [without pushing them] through
until late autumn. Once they are mature, they can stand in situ to ripen
if the weather is not too cold and wet.

I would agree with that my typical ones are 5-6 inches in diameter. They do
need adequate water, and I remove the bottom leaves as they split. I suspect
the commercial growers are using a different variety to us amateurs. This
year I tried to compare Monarch, and Balder, but the birds pinched the
labels, so it is try again next year.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Alan Gould 17-01-2004 11:46 AM

Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

In article , Eur Ing John Rye
writes
I would agree with that my typical ones are 5-6 inches in diameter. They do
need adequate water, and I remove the bottom leaves as they split. I suspect
the commercial growers are using a different variety to us amateurs. This
year I tried to compare Monarch, and Balder, but the birds pinched the
labels, so it is try again next year.

Just a guess here - are celeriac much grown commercially in UK, or are
they more often produced in milder places like the Canary Is., Israel
etc. in a similar way to other half-hardy and tender crops?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sacha 17-01-2004 06:15 PM

Celeriac, what am I doing wrong?

Alan Holmes16/1/04 1:46

Last night I watched Delia, yes, I know it's sad, but that's the way I am!

She was talking about cooking vegetables, and one of them was
celeriac, during the programme she picked up one she was using
and it was HUGE, about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.

Now, mine are between 1.5 and 2.5 inches.

snip

I wouldn't worry. I cook them and mash them into potatoes - that size sounds
ideal for the purpose. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)