Old 17-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Cicero

Default Special spades

Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and where I
can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out of heavy
digging.

Tia.

Cic,

Old 18-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Robert

: Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and
: where I can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out
: of heavy digging.
:
: Tia.
:
: Cic,

You mean the long handled ones with the angle so that part of the work is
done for you I think. We call them Devon Spades here and they are normally
available where other tools are sold. Have you tried B and Q?

Robert South West England

Old 18-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Cerumen

"Cicero" wrote in message
Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and where

can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out of heavy
digging.

They were called Easydig or something very similar but I've not seen an
advert for one in many years. The Sunday papers were where they advertised
most.

--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 18-01-2004, 12:05 PM
M K Rogerson

"Cicero" wrote in message
Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and where I
can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out of heavy
digging.

Do you mean the Terex autospade? If so they are brilliant. It digs my
vegetable patch in about a quarter of the time it takes me with a
conventional spade and I don't end up with a sore back (which is why I
bought it). Sadly no longer available in this country. There was a thread a
couple of years ago which included someone's attempts to buy the whole thing
as spare parts, sadly it didn't work as a plan.

Martin R

Old 18-01-2004, 11:05 PM
shazzbat

"M K Rogerson" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and where

can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out of heavy
digging.

Do you mean the Terex autospade? If so they are brilliant. It digs my
vegetable patch in about a quarter of the time it takes me with a
conventional spade and I don't end up with a sore back (which is why I
bought it). Sadly no longer available in this country. There was a thread

couple of years ago which included someone's attempts to buy the whole

thing
as spare parts, sadly it didn't work as a plan.

I picked one up at an auction for £2 :-))
I believe there is also a fork version, but I haven't seen it.

Steve

Old 24-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Cicero

"Cicero" wrote in message
Does anybody know what those special hinged spades are called and

where
can buy one? They're supposed to take some of the effort out of heavy
digging.

Do you mean the Terex autospade? If so they are brilliant. It digs my
vegetable patch in about a quarter of the time it takes me with a
conventional spade and I don't end up with a sore back (which is why I
bought it). Sadly no longer available in this country. There was a

thread
couple of years ago which included someone's attempts to buy the whole

thing
as spare parts, sadly it didn't work as a plan.

I picked one up at an auction for £2 :-))
I believe there is also a fork version, but I haven't seen it.

Steve

===============
Thanks for all the replies. The one I was looking for is indeed the 'Terex
Autospade' but so far I haven't been able to locate one. I'll look in a few
more garden centres next week.

Cic.

Old 24-01-2004, 11:33 PM
shazzbat

"Cicero" wrote in message
[...]

Sad update. All the sheds at our allotment site (Longham, Dorset) were
broken into on Wednesday night, and all the decent tools nicked including
the Terex. Geezer next to us lost a rotovator.

*******s.

Steve