GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Prune blackcurrant bushes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50615-prune-blackcurrant-bushes.html)

simon 19-01-2004 11:25 PM

Prune blackcurrant bushes

Is it a suitable time of year to prune my blackcurrant bushes ?
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them, or when!
I think I read somewhere that the fruit appears on year-old growth,
so does that mean, if I give my blackcurrant bushes a shave now,
I will not see any yield this summer ?

Thanks.

Robert 19-01-2004 11:25 PM

Prune blackcurrant bushes

: Is it a suitable time of year to prune my blackcurrant bushes ?
: I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with them, or when!
: I think I read somewhere that the fruit appears on year-old growth,
: so does that mean, if I give my blackcurrant bushes a shave now,
: I will not see any yield this summer ?
:
: Thanks.

The way to prune blackcurrants is to take a third of the shoots straight off
to the base. If you trim back the shoots like a normal pruning you will lose
a lot of fruit this summer

Robert South West England