Old 21-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Paul

Default Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush) problems

I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

Old 21-01-2004, 04:46 PM
JennyC

"Paul" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Old 21-01-2004, 04:47 PM
jane

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:23:25 +0000 (UTC), "Paul"
wrote:

~I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
~Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
~are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
~and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
~be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
~some sort of 'food', or ?

I can't say for sure.

Often plants don't like being shifted about: I don't know if it
applies specifically to callistemons but it may not like sudden
changes in temperature and humidity.

Backstory: Dad and I both bought tiny ones some 4 years back at
Gardeners' World: he's in north Derbyshire and I'm in Bucks. He kept
his outside all year, I removed mine to the conservatory each winter
(10-15 deg minimum). In the end he tied up all his floppy stems to
make a plaited tree trunk effect and put it in the front garden
(permanently) which is full sun but also full prevailing winds off the
Peak District. It gets *very* cold up there.

Guess whose plant flowered first.

So I'd guess your friend could easily leave the plant outside
(assuming they're not too far north!) and it can become acclimatised
to a given position. Perhaps then it won't lose more leaves. I'm not
sure it it can regrow them, either: perhaps it'll need a prune.

Other possible reasons for leaf loss as well as the things you
suggested are loss of roots (has it got vine weevil?) or infestations
of scale insects/red spider mite. Best have a close look first, so see
if any bugs are hiding.

--
jane

Mark Twain