Old 24-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Lifting our forum@

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet
Old 24-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Tumbleweed

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

That is bizzarre!

BTW, next time try www.tinyurl.com to get a ...tiny url so you dont have
wrapping problems.

as in http://tinyurl.com/2up7o

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 24-01-2004, 07:02 AM
JennyC

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

Jenny

Old 24-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say
html at the end.

If you delimit the link by enclosing the url in angled brackets then
those of us with Turnpike and other well behaved and standards complaint
newsreaders will find that links should not break on line wrapping and
they will find it easier to extract the url.

Like this:

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...eties_192835.h
tml

Of course there is a certain well known newsreader which probably
doesn't utilize this facility, but TBH, whose problem is that?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 24-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

The site isn't very well designed but they do have what seems to be a
place to request that messages from a specific email address are not
displayed.

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

I'm not surprised.

There are number of website around that give a web based interface onto
Usenet. (You've probably seen post coming from the 'Garden Banter'
website) This site does say that these are usenet groups on it 's home
page, but it would be better if they gave the name of the groups on the
page as well.

Old 24-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JennyC
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

quite.

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

I doubt it, there seems to be no way to post from this site.
Old 24-01-2004, 10:13 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

I don't think that one can actually post on that site. They are just
displaying our messages.

Perhaps it's a tribute to us as we have the most civilised discussion
group on gardening. :-)

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 24-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Well, yes - Archive yes/no, which I believe Google honours, but some
other archivers ignore.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-01-2004, 12:34 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

--
Martin

Old 24-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Sacha

David Rance24/1/04 9:59

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of
late

I don't think that one can actually post on that site. They are just
displaying our messages.

Perhaps it's a tribute to us as we have the most civilised discussion
group on gardening. :-)

I only took a brief glance at that forum to see what was going on after
Janet emailed me. I'd like to know why they're doing this and if they get
any financial gain from it. Some of the people who post here are
professional and might object to their freely given advice to *URG* being
used to benefit others.
If it's merely distributing free advice to people in other countries, I
don't see a problem but I do think it's a cheek! Of course, the danger is
that some of the advice will be very inappropriate for those who read it in
another country and then that forum might have a problem on its hands from
irate and failed gardeners!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 24-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Sacha

Janet Tweedy24/1/04 12:08

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet

This is from the Home page of that forum

gardening-forum.com
Promoting gardening discussion.

Welcome to gardening-forum.com
In an effort to promote discussion and help people find information,
gardening-forum.com provides a web based news feed to Usenet newsgroups.
Visitors who may not know about Usenet will be able to still find
information, ask questions, and participate with newsgroup regulars.

Categories:
General
- General discussion about gardening.
Edible
- Edible plants and gardens.
Bamboo
- All about growing bamboo.
Orchids
- For the orchid gardeners.
Roses
- Anything to make those roses beautiful.
UK Forum
- Section for the English.

© 2004 gardening-forum.com
terms | automatic removal | webmaster | help

The rose page - for example - has the following ads on it, which suggest to
me that this not some altruistic website:

The cheapest place I know of to get Better Homes & Gardens Magazine. This
place is cheap!
They even have 1 year of Glamour and Maxim at $7.99, Wired at $6.99, and
Newsweek subscriptions at an AMAZING $14.99! Wow! Unbelievable!

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 24-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-01-2004, 06:05 PM
JennyC

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Jenny