Old 25-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Alf

Default Where to buy 'tall' english laurel for hedge

Hi,

I want an English laurel hedge to be around 7 foot, and I want it to reach
this height asap.

Anyone know of any on-line nursuries where I can buy plants already grown.

Last spring
http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_10222.html had
cuttings at 4-5 ft but I was too late to plant, however this year they only
have them at 30-50 cms.

Anyone know where I can buy them at this greater height?

Anything else to look out for as I am a novice in these matters.

Thanks in advance

Old 27-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Spider

Hello Alf,
Hopes Grove Nurseries, (Smallhythe Road, Tenterden, Kent, TN30 7LT. Tel:-
01580 765600) sell the Laurel you want. They sell transplanted, multistem
transplanted, and rootballed bushes. Their tallest rootballed bushes are
5-6 ft tall. The price per ten is £175; the price for 50 is £790.
Their advert. was in February's issue of BBC Gardeners' World, which would
seem to suggest that they still have some stock.

Must you have so much height so soon, though? It is always better to start
with younger (therefore shorter) plants to achieve successful establishment.
This is particularly important with an evergreen species because the leaves
create so much windage that really tall plants which have not put their
'anchors' down yet will suffer from windrock. Talk to the experts at Hopes
Grove Nurseries and be prepared to follow their advice - or use very strong
stakes and a windbreak material.

The other important thing you need to know about Laurel is that all its
parts are very poisonous. Be careful when you come to dispose of prunings.
When it burns, it gives off cyanide; similarly, if shredded, there will be
cyanide in the sappy vapours.
Ignore people who say they've always burned/shredded it without any trouble:
they've been lucky so far. A friend of mine merely trimmed his Laurel hedge
lightly, and his arms became very red and covered with blisters. It's
really not worth the risk.

Good luck with the hedge.
Spider