Old 25-01-2004, 04:43 PM
John Wakefield

Default smashing up a concrete path

What tool should I use to do this? Sledge hammer or some sort of power tool.

Old 25-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John Wakefield wrote:
What tool should I use to do this? Sledge hammer or some sort of power tool.

It depends. How thick is it, and how solid is the concrete it is
made of?

You don't want a sledgehammer, but a pickaxe, anyway. If you are
buying one, I recommend a grub-axe (pick-mattock, whatever), which
has a pick on one side and a 4" broad blade the other (at right
angles to the handle). It is very useful for grubbing up stumps,
tree roots and general heavy work - and may save you from breaking
a spade!

If you need a power tool, you need a serious one, and they are right
beggars to use. You are quite likely to find it cheaper and easier
to pay a local builder for a quick visit - a simple cash transaction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
John Wakefield wrote:
What tool should I use to do this? Sledge hammer or some sort of
power tool.

It depends. How thick is it, and how solid is the concrete it is
made of?

You don't want a sledgehammer, but a pickaxe, anyway. If you are
buying one, I recommend a grub-axe (pick-mattock, whatever), which
has a pick on one side and a 4" broad blade the other (at right
angles to the handle). It is very useful for grubbing up stumps,
tree roots and general heavy work - and may save you from breaking
a spade!

Personally, I'd use a sledgehammer - and yes, I have some experience of
digging up wartime airfield concrete.

If it's anything like good concrete a pick will ruin your wrists. When -
and I mean when, not if - you get tired, I'd hire a big electric Kango
hammer. But get someone to show you how to use it, or it's nearly as
much hard worl as a slodgehimmel.

If you need a power tool, you need a serious one, and they are right
beggars to use. You are quite likely to find it cheaper and easier
to pay a local builder for a quick visit - a simple cash transaction.

Can't fault that advice, though.

Oh, Nick - - did you ever send me that SAE for - what was it? - jalapino
seeds? I had a nudge from jane, and found her letter amongst my empty
Christmas envelopes kept for stamps for the Lifeboat......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

found her letter amongst my empty
Christmas envelopes kept for stamps for the Lifeboat......

Totally OT, but if you have an address for sending used stamps to
support Lifeboats I'd be very grateful for it.(remove flobadob from my
address). Since we moved house I can't find anywhere local that collects
them..might as well start one myself.

Janet.
Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Chris Stewart

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

found her letter amongst my empty
Christmas envelopes kept for stamps for the Lifeboat......

snip
I'll try to find an address for you. You may need to remind me - I've
hit a thick seam of RL ATM.

RL?? can you exploon?

Chris S

Old 27-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Chris Stewart
writes

RL?? can you exploon?

Real Life. That chaotic state which sometimes intrudes into the orderly
world of the internet.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Chris Stewart" contains these words:

Old 27-01-2004, 11:32 AM
sahara

RL?? can you exploon?

my feelings exactly

to go back to somewhere on topic i'd like to know whether there is a
good tool for what i want to do. I have a concrete paving path i want
to move to make a bigger flower bed. The paving slabs are really heavy
and i want to cut them in half so i a) will be able to lug them and b)
will be able to lug them down the allotment to make some raised beds
(i have a drainage problem).

so i need some scissors for concrete.
sarah
Old 31-01-2004, 04:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

found her letter amongst my empty
Christmas envelopes kept for stamps for the Lifeboat......

Totally OT, but if you have an address for sending used stamps to
support Lifeboats I'd be very grateful for it.(remove flobadob from my
address). Since we moved house I can't find anywhere local that collects
them..might as well start one myself.

I just cut them out on squares of paper (keeping any good postmarks) and
drop them in at my local pub, which used to be the HQ of the Rural
Tibenham Yacht Club, of which Prince Charlie declined graciously to
become patron....

They could have done with a bit more clout, as I believe the flotilla
amounted to something like a Heron and a Foil.

I'll try to find an address for you. You may need to remind me - I've
hit a thick seam of RL ATM.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

removing black spots from concrete path ben United Kingdom 10 14-02-2013 10:33 AM
testicles down the garden path! Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 22-09-2003 10:02 PM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM
Up the Garden path Mike United Kingdom 3 07-06-2003 08:20 PM
Removing algae from concrete path and slabs? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 15 18-11-2002 10:25 PM