Old 31-01-2004, 04:33 PM
SH

Default Sulphur Candle?

How good are they for sterilizing a greenhouse.
Will it kill off both pests & diseases / fungus spores?

Steve

Old 31-01-2004, 04:33 PM
David Hill

Will also kill each and every plant it comes into contact with.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-01-2004, 05:45 PM
David Hill

".......Ray says they used to use them donkey's years ago ........"

That's the thing some of remember using these things....well we used to burn
piles of sulphur and also Nicotine shreds to fumigate and sterilize the
greenhouses, no fun going back in if you had to re-light a pile or two.
The sulphur dioxide and sulphur oxide given off (SO2 and SO) can combine
with water to give sulphuric acid and sulphurous acid (H2SO4 and H2SO2).
Works best in a damp house, and we used to spray the whole house with water
before hand and with a solution of Formalhahyde after fumigation to add to
the fun.
Ray may remember doing some of this as well.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Rod

David Hill wrote:

Ray may remember doing some of this as well.

Happy days, face red raw with tar oil, spraying nicosoap on apple trees with an
old stirrup pump, lighting nicotine shreds and worse...............
Last time I saw nicotine shreds was only about 4 years ago at a local wholesale
pot plant grower - I was in there with Chris my former colleague who was still
working with me then. I said look there, haven't seen those in years; before I
could stop her with her insatiable curiosity she had her hands in the tray of
nicotine shreds "oh what are they?" -me "fer gaws sake get yer hands out and
wash 'em" She's still around, still gets her hands in everything. I see her
from time to time.
Oh and to the op don't waste your time with the sulphur candle there are better
ways of doing the job.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 31-01-2004, 08:38 PM
SH

Oh and to the op don't waste your time with the sulphur candle there are
better
ways of doing the job.

Ok.
It's a bit like pulling teeth trying to get an answer. If there are better
ways - pray tell me.

Old 31-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Rod

SH wrote:

Ok.
It's a bit like pulling teeth trying to get an answer. If there are better
ways - pray tell me.

This is a self help group not a free advice bureau so I suggest you phrase your
questions accordingly. Google 'Greenhouse cleaning' will give you the advice of
the RHS on the subject as well as sites offering cleaning materials from the
traditional Jeyes/Armillatox tar oil preparations to more user/environment
friendly alternatives - you choose.

Old 31-01-2004, 11:36 PM
SH

Apologies if I offended you, but if you follow the thread of my opening
questions "How good are they for sterilizing a greenhouse. Will it kill off
both pests & diseases / fungus spores?" there has been little response to my
specific questions.
Yes I have used Jeyes only in the past but I feel that whilst it does a good
job it is not as thorough as fumigation. I used Jeyes in the Autumn as belt
and braces before the growing season starts again I felt fumigation was the
answer hence my questions.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Grinch

I can remember as a child of 12 after becoming very interested with
gardening I persuaded my father to buy a greenhouse (40 years ago)
Dad & me were very successful in growing tomatoes but one year I detected
that all was not well & there was a disease problem (probably a virus or
something as they were growing in the boarder).
After reading in a gardening book the merits of using a sulphur candle I
persuaded him to buy one & I lit the candle with the plants in the
greenhouse.
OH DEAR the following day DISASTER - not just diseased plants but dead
plants & inedible fruits.
We live & learn!!

Oddly enough since then I have not seen sulphur candles very often in
nurseries usually only the smoke cones.
However, I noticed them on the shelf of my local nursery this year - maybe
they have come back to haunt me :-)

"Rod" wrote in message
SH wrote:

Ok.
It's a bit like pulling teeth trying to get an answer. If there are

better
ways - pray tell me.

This is a self help group not a free advice bureau so I suggest you

phrase
your
questions accordingly. Google 'Greenhouse cleaning' will give you the

advice of
the RHS on the subject as well as sites offering cleaning materials from

the
traditional Jeyes/Armillatox tar oil preparations to more

user/environment
friendly alternatives - you choose.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
My email address needs weeding.

Sulphur Candle Noodle Doo United Kingdom 2 06-02-2005 04:36 PM
Sulphur Candle? SH United Kingdom 1 31-01-2004 04:33 PM
Black Spot, Sulphur & 'Organic Rose' Book John T. Jarrett Texas 5 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 01:44 PM
where to get flowers of sulphur ken sands United Kingdom 7 17-01-2003 09:31 PM