Old 01-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey
Question Bay Tree Problem

Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Please help!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Bay Tree Problem-bay-leaf-2.jpg
Old 01-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Chris Boulby

Default Bay Tree Problem

In message m,
peter123 writes
Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Please help!

Peter, this sounds very much like scale insect (not sure if that's their
proper name)to me. They are tiny creatures that are hard to spot
because they are flat and look like flaky bits. It happened to my
grapefruit tree a few years ago. Take a magnifying glass to the
undersides of the leaves at the main vein that runs beneath the leaf.
If you see brown flat bits there, you may have scale. I found it almost
impossible to eradicate them, and finally had to dump the tree
altogether, and I'd grown it from seed. It was 10 years old.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Please note new email address:

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Boulby wrote:

Peter, this sounds very much like scale insect (not sure if that's their
proper name)to me. They are tiny creatures that are hard to spot
because they are flat and look like flaky bits. It happened to my
grapefruit tree a few years ago. Take a magnifying glass to the
undersides of the leaves at the main vein that runs beneath the leaf.
If you see brown flat bits there, you may have scale. I found it almost
impossible to eradicate them, and finally had to dump the tree
altogether, and I'd grown it from seed. It was 10 years old.

Yes. That's their name, all right, and there are several that can
infest bay. I have got rid of them from bay and citrus on SMALL
plants, by scraping off or damaging every scale with a blunt knife
or similar. 2-3 goes and they have gone. But that does mean going
over EVERY stem and EVERY leaf, which could be time consuming on a
larger plant ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
kenty ;-\)

I would imagine if it was scale insect you would see the scales especially
if they are totally killing the plant.You could look at other things like if
it is pot planted does it need repotting,check the roots ,could it have a
deficiency,have a good look at the plant for pests they should be visible.Is
the plant in a exposed position.If it is none of these it must be diseased.

--
Thanks Keith

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:56:01 GMT, peter123 wrote:

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Look at the underside of the leaves near the mid-rib. Are there
thin, pale yellowy-browny deposits there that look something like
wax? If so, you have "soft brown scale." It's a bitch to get rid
of, but if you don't mind using pettochemical-based insecticides,
malathion will do a splendid job. Spray *thoroughly*, leave it
for about 15 minutes, then wash it off with spray from a hose.

Do NOT try to use malathion in the house. You must do this
outside.

I'm also assuming that the stuff is still on the market.

Alternatively, methodically scrub the scale insects off using a
soft toothbrush and soapy water. Soap, not detergent.

No matter what method you use to get rid of scale, stay alert for
reinfestations; it's a very difficult pest to eradicate
completely and is sufficiently ubiquitous in the environment that
clean plants can easily become reinfested.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Rod

peter123 wrote:

Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Have you used a good hand lens?
Pot grown?
Indoors or out?

The sticky leaves are almost certainly the result of honeydew excreted by a
sucking pest. Scale insects are the usual suspects, aphids at this time of year
are unlikely outdoors, indoors they will be small and difficult to see, look
right inside the growing points. If it's indoors get it outside this spring and
keep it outside in a sheltered place.
Pests are probably not your only problem. What about watering/feeding,
especially critical if pot grown. A typical scenario is 'See plant looking
poorly - water it, A day or 2 later it looks worse - water it more - some days
later - it wasn't enough!? - put some feed in with the water............and so
it goes on - feed wasn't strong enough?! - double the dose...............dead
plant'
Like feeding a sick baby on gin and kippers. All this is worse if what is
essentially a hardy plant is grown in a pot indoors. I'm putting this as a
suggestion, not an accusation but you wouldn't be the first and you won't be
the last.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html

Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"peter123" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Please help!

Thanks.
| Attachment filename: bay leaf 2.jpg |

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=329318|

Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"peter123" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Please help!

Apart from the scale insects, especially if pot grown, they can succumb to
vine weevil.

I guess you would have to remove the plant from the pot (assuming potted)
and examine the roots.

If there aren't any, then this is probably your problem :-(

If the roots are healthy then repot and look for 'sucking' pests.

However scale insect should not kill a bay - bad feeding/watering is the
thing that normally kills them.

HTH

Dave R

Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM