GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poppy Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/51490-poppy-seeds.html)

Mel 01-02-2004 11:18 PM

Poppy Seeds

I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Thanks.

Franz Heymann 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

Poppy Seeds

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?
If not, why do the Afghans go to all the trouble to grow them for the export
of heroin?

Franz

Kay Easton 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

Poppy Seeds

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?

No. As well as the species, there are many garden varieties.

If not, why do the Afghans go to all the trouble to grow them for the export
of heroin?

Because you need hotter summers than we get to get juice which is any
use for anything.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Neil Jones 02-02-2004 10:56 AM

Poppy Seeds

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in

the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to

plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?
If not, why do the Afghans go to all the trouble to grow them for the

export
of heroin?

Franz

On a related note:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3450385.stm

Synaptic Flow 02-02-2004 11:12 AM

Poppy Seeds

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in

the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to

plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?
If not, why do the Afghans go to all the trouble to grow them for the

export
of heroin?

Franz

On a related note:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3450385.stm

Only one item of inconsistency, raw opium is produced by extracting the
latex from the pods, not from the seeds.

Frogleg 02-02-2004 02:03 PM

Poppy Seeds

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:21:48 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?

Growing breadseed poppy (Papaver somniferum) always generates a lot of
discussion. The same plant that's the source of opium is also lovely
garden bloom (many varieties of stunning colors), and the seeds are
used in cooking. It is obviously legal to sell the seeds, and unless
one cultivates vast fields and mounts an operation to collect the
latex, only the daftest authority would interfere.

For Mel: they don't care for frost, so set out when the ground has
warmed thoroughly. And keep some in the greenhouse for comparison.
I've grown some in a hot, humid climate (SE Virginia) that did very
well, but can't find web info after a couple of brief searches that
describe ideal conditions.

Franz Heymann 02-02-2004 11:18 PM

Poppy Seeds

"Mel" wrote in message
I sowed poppy somniferum seeds last autumn and overwintered them in the
slightly-heated greenhouse (because I didn't know where I wanted to

plant
them but I wanted an early start this year).

When can I plant them out into the ground outside?

Is it not illegal to cultivate opium poppies here?

No. As well as the species, there are many garden varieties.

If not, why do the Afghans go to all the trouble to grow them for the

export
of heroin?

Because you need hotter summers than we get to get juice which is any
use for anything.

Ah, well, there's a down siide to everything.
{:-((

Franz