Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sacha
writes

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

How to make a worter feecha. Hanging baskets, propagation of plants. How
to make a garden private, user friendly and low maintenance (and then
please, come back and tell us all about it!) but you get my drift. ;-)
Grow (some) of your own food - gardens/seedbeds for children of the younger
inhabitants.

Thanks, Sacha, but we have regular 'speakers' and the topics you mention
crop up regularly! Plus we have two outings a year.
We were thinking along the lines of an interactive quiz or games or
something - if anyone has any ideas.

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender (((((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jane wrote in message ...
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Said it before but how about a Marrow or better still Pumpkin growing
competition, give out the seeds yourself so they all start with the same,
and make a date in, say, September for the grand weigh in (local Pub might
well like to get involved in that!)
Your local school might like to get involved too.
Make prizes for different age groups. Do make sure you have good scales
though which you probably will have to hire, you may get some pumpkins of
400lbs or more.
A "How to grow" sheet would also be a good idea for those who have no idea,
and once they are hooked you have them for the rest of their lives. :-)
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
martin

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:04:26 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender (((((((((((

How about a weekend in Amsterdam?
It seems full of unattached men for some reason.
--
Martin

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
martin

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:53:58 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Jane wrote in message ...
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Said it before but how about a Marrow or better still Pumpkin growing
competition, give out the seeds yourself so they all start with the same,
and make a date in, say, September for the grand weigh in (local Pub might
well like to get involved in that!)

Followed by a traditional pumpkin seed spitting contest.
--
Martin
Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Mike

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

You say the 'younger' inhabitants? How young? I was in our Garden Centre
today and noticed a stand of 'Children's Garden Tools', why not start or
emphasise more the 'Younger' ones and even start a section for them and
invite Mum or Dad to join in as well? If the majority only have a small
garden do planned evenings/weekends on 'The Handkerchief Garden' and hold a
competition.

Add Social Evenings into your calendar with 'Bangers and Mash' Evenings,
these evenings can be fund raising events for your Society so ask them to
bring a prize for a Raffle. Not Horticultural or Gardening themed, but we
hold these fund raising evenings and think nothing of making £200.00 or more
and have a good evening.

"Take over" (with permission of the Council or whoever own them) any small
public gardens or flower beds and get people who don't normally have an
interest in gardening, to 'help' you to make a display of these beds. (Not
my idea, I got roped into doing the beds around the War Memorial and the
'Horse Trough' Flower bed)

Hold a Village in Bloom contest. The people who are going to take part
register now and the Judging is ........... you decide now so they have
something to go for. A Cup and a Certificate to keep AND, you will find your
local garden centre/nurseries will donate tokens as prizes, tie all of this
up with your local council, they 'might' pay for advertising and/or leaflets
to be printed/ distributed.

If you want to get the whole village involved there has to be something
which will appeal to ALL, like a "100 Club" with £500.00 worth of prizes
over the year 'run by the Horticultural Society'. (Just about to launch the
same thing here as a start to a £500,000.00 Fund Raising scheme for the
local 'Open Space/Sports Field'. BTW you have to be registered with your
local council and this will cost you £35.00 and you need the leaflet about
the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976)

More ideas? Have a 'Brain Storming' session where every idea is thrown into
the pot, no matter how daft. 'Something' could be made of even the most
stupid idea.

Mike

Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
Jane Ransom1/2/04 5:06
n.co.uk

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

How to make a worter feecha. Hanging baskets, propagation of plants. How
to make a garden private, user friendly and low maintenance (and then
please, come back and tell us all about it!) but you get my drift. ;-)
Grow (some) of your own food - gardens/seedbeds for children of the younger
inhabitants.
I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

Tap into the current fashions for everything 'new age' - so feng shui,
herbal remedies from the garden.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
Jane Ransom1/2/04 5:06
n.co.uk

Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I was only 22 when I got hooked.

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender (((((((((((

Our Gardening Club started much the same way a year ago, against much
head-shaking and teeth-sucking by the more fogeyish Horticultural
Society members (who are now completely won over and enthusiastic
attenders; in fact to hear some of them talk you'd think it was their
very own idea in the first place). Membership immediately expanded
beyond all expectations, (equal males and females) 40 or 50 turn up to a
monthly meeting including a slowly growing number of younger people
(30-ish). . It has also started a lending library of donated garden
books, which might draw in more newbie gardeners as word gets around.

Last week's meeting was a showing of an official 90 minute video
somebody had bought at the Eden Project, covering Tim Smit's inspiration
and the construction/preparation phase.. fascinating and very well
received by all ages. We're having a second one about the planting of
Eden, at a later meeting.

The initial meeting included a raffle of garden-related spare stuff
donated by founding members, anything from produce, to plants, seeds,
pots etc. It was so popular we now do it every month; very easy
fundraiser :-)

HTH

Janet

Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
David Hill

Why not contact a seed company to see if you could get free or reduced price
seed so you could give every child a free packet of seed.
A sponsored Sunflower growing competition. and if you can supply every
entrant with say 3 plants for an entry fee of 50p, so that they all have the
same variety to start with..........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

A bit of activity Mike United Kingdom 12 02-05-2005 12:51 PM
orchids with the most frequent activity J Fortuna Orchids 17 15-01-2005 10:08 PM
[IBC] website - using the list to urge other so engage in illegal activity Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 01-02-2004 12:43 AM
So much activity! Geodyne Permaculture 4 13-12-2003 12:06 AM
Is there any UK activity in this group mark potter alt.forestry 11 20-03-2003 08:44 PM