Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Daffodil leaf shoots

Most of the daffs are growing nicely, but I noticed that many of the leaf
tips are very yellow and pale, I seem to remember reading somewhere about
this, but can't find it now. Google didn't turn up anything useful either.

Would this indicate a soil deficiency of some sort?
As far as I know nitrogen promotes leaf and stem growth, phosphorous
promotes flowering and potassium helps flowering and makes fruit tastier. I
know that other nutrients (iron and magnesium?) are also involved, but am
very confused as to what part they actually play.

I did test the soil last summer from various parts of the garden, and got
high readings for nitrogen and almost no phosphorous and potassium! Ph was
about 8.0 or a little below. Soil is heavy clay with what looks like chalk
pebbles further down.

I'm intending to manure everywhere quite liberally when the weather
improves, as I've found a local stable with quite a pile of nicely rotted
black gold!

Will the manure and the application of bone meal help?
An enthusiastic but relatively clueless soul would be grateful for any
advice!

--
Regards, Charles

cthorpe at ukfsn dot org