GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato, when to sow? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/51749-tomato-when-sow.html)

Alan Holmes 05-02-2004 06:44 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

I have a pack of Gardeners Delight, but in their wisdom the
manufacturers have only seen fit to print the indoor sowing
instructions.

So, when should I sow to grow them outside?

And why has everyone decided not to answer my query on
harvesting Celeriac and Leeks?

I shall cry if no one tells me what to do, can you all live with
that on your conscience?

Alan

Alan Gould 05-02-2004 06:44 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

I have a pack of Gardeners Delight, but in their wisdom the
manufacturers have only seen fit to print the indoor sowing
instructions.

So, when should I sow to grow them outside?

Gardener's Delight can be grown indoors or outside. When we grow them
out of doors we sow them in about the 2nd. or 3rd. week of March for
planting out in about the 2nd. week of June. Further South, you may get
away with 1-2 weeks earlier, but they should not go out until after the
last frost. The date of that is variable according to area and year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Bob Hobden 05-02-2004 06:45 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

"Alan wrote in message after Alan Holmes

I have a pack of Gardeners Delight, but in their wisdom the
manufacturers have only seen fit to print the indoor sowing
instructions.

So, when should I sow to grow them outside?

Gardener's Delight can be grown indoors or outside. When we grow them
out of doors we sow them in about the 2nd. or 3rd. week of March for
planting out in about the 2nd. week of June. Further South, you may get
away with 1-2 weeks earlier, but they should not go out until after the
last frost. The date of that is variable according to area and year.
--

Living just S. of Staines I usually plant out my outdoor Toms just after
Chelsea Flower Show, but it depends on the long range weather forecast. If

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
371 data units completed.

Frogleg 05-02-2004 06:46 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:22:56 -0000, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I have a pack of Gardeners Delight, but in their wisdom the
manufacturers have only seen fit to print the indoor sowing
instructions.

So, when should I sow to grow them outside?

The usual instructions are to plant the seeds inside 6-8 weeks before
last frost so as to have well-established plants to set out.

Steve Harris 05-02-2004 06:46 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

In article ,
(Alan Holmes) wrote:

I have a pack of Gardeners Delight, but in their wisdom the
manufacturers have only seen fit to print the indoor sowing
instructions.

So, when should I sow to grow them outside?

Here's what worked for me last year:

06/04/03 Sowed Tomato in peat pots
21/04/03 Planted out 1 off Gardeners Delight seedling
27/04/03 Planted out 2 more Gardeners Delight
07/05/03 Planted out 1 more Gardeners Delight

Cropping ran from the last week in July to late October.

And why has everyone decided not to answer my query on
harvesting Celeriac and Leeks?

I can see 5 responses here. I suggest you Google.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Alan Holmes 07-02-2004 01:47 PM

Tomato, when to sow?

Thanks for the answers, all I have to do now is to try to
remember that I have to plant them!(:-)

And why has everyone decided not to answer my query on
harvesting Celeriac and Leeks?

I can see 5 responses here. I suggest you Google.

Were those five a response to this?

How long can I leave them in the ground before they go to seed?

I want some seed from the leeks, but I'm not interested in seed
from the celeriac.

If I have to dig them up, how do I store them?

Alan

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Frogleg 10-02-2004 11:49 AM

Tomato, when to sow?

In article ,
(Alan Holmes) wrote:

How long can I leave them in the ground before they go to seed?

I want some seed from the leeks, but I'm not interested in seed
from the celeriac.

If I have to dig them up, how do I store them?

(From a cached page on Google):

Leek -Seed Saving Instructions: Biennial. Leeks will not
cross-pollinate. Select only the best bulbs to keep for seed. Bulbs
will store very well at 32 degrees F. In milder areas they can be
mulched heavily and overwintered in the garden. Plant out leek bulbs
in early spring and allow them to form seedheads. As soon as the
seedheads start to dry, they should be cut off. Place seedheads in a
dry shaded area and allow to dry completely. Seeds can be easily
removed by rubbing seedheads between hands.

For celeriac, see:

http://gardenbed.com/A/400.cfm