Old 07-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Suz

Default easy to grow?

Hi

I'm a total novice, but decided to grow some seeds 2 years ago. Some were
ok, others didn't appear at all, but one was a complete success. It was
Thompson & Morgans Achillea millefolium Summer Pastels. You simply couldn't
go wrong. Every single seed germinated and flourished and they have made a
lovely bright spot in the corner of the garden.

I'm now having another look at seeds and want more like this. Totally easy
to grow, the sort you can't kill. Don't care if they spread like wildfire -
so much the better. I like cottage style, with really soft pink blue and
white, and lots of soft green. Is there anything like nasturtiums, but not
bright yellow or orange?

Any suggestions of idiot proof seeds?

TIA
Suzanne

Old 07-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Emrys Davies

'Suz',

You must try Cosmos Sonata Mixed. They are easy to grow and will bloom
for most of the season. Just follow the directions on the packet, which
you can get from most garden centres. Plant them 2' apart. Sounds a
lot, but they will fill the gap.

http://humeseeds.safeshopper.com/13/213.htm?287

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Suz
writes
Hi

I'm a total novice, but decided to grow some seeds 2 years ago. Some were
ok, others didn't appear at all, but one was a complete success. It was
Thompson & Morgans Achillea millefolium Summer Pastels. You simply couldn't
go wrong. Every single seed germinated and flourished and they have made a
lovely bright spot in the corner of the garden.

I'm now having another look at seeds and want more like this. Totally easy
to grow, the sort you can't kill. Don't care if they spread like wildfire -
so much the better. I like cottage style, with really soft pink blue and
white, and lots of soft green. Is there anything like nasturtiums, but not
bright yellow or orange?

Not in the least like nasturiums, but:
Love-in-a-mist Nigella damascena - pale blue, lacy foliage, flower
appearing in the middle of a lacy haze, followed by big round seed pods
Clarkia - spikes of double white or pink flowers
Alchemilla mollis - big soft green leaves, tiny lime green flowers in
clusters - if it like your soil it will take over ;-)
Nicotiana - tiny seed, scatter it on seed tray, plant out the many
thousands of plants by the clump when they get to about 2 inches high -
best (IMO) have white flowers with strong fragrance in evening
Night scented stock - pale mauve, not much to look at, but again lovely
evening scent.

Shirley poppies for scattering in abundance on bare soil

Perennials to look for (you can buy plants or seeds)
Centranthus ruber - red valerian - available in pink or white. Comes up
every year with fresh green leaves and big heads of tiny pink or white
flowers - self seeds well
Lychnis coronaria alba - downy grey leaves, spikes of white flowers the
size of a 1p piece
Hardy geraniums - buy the odd plant to start with as they're not quite
foolproof from seed.

Chiltern Seeds are a very good source of seeds, and also do some nice
mixtures. Don't worry about things not coming up - I've been growing
things for 40 years, and still have spectacular failures.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 PM
FF

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:25:12 -0000, "Suz" wrote:

Hi

I'm a total novice, but decided to grow some seeds 2 years ago. Some were
ok, others didn't appear at all, but one was a complete success. It was
Thompson & Morgans Achillea millefolium Summer Pastels. You simply couldn't
go wrong. Every single seed germinated and flourished and they have made a
lovely bright spot in the corner of the garden.

I'm now having another look at seeds and want more like this. Totally easy
to grow, the sort you can't kill. Don't care if they spread like wildfire -
so much the better. I like cottage style, with really soft pink blue and
white, and lots of soft green. Is there anything like nasturtiums, but not
bright yellow or orange?

Any suggestions of idiot proof seeds?

TIA
Suzanne

Ha! I'm that idiot! I'm a fairly new and pretty hopeless gardener.
So far, I've managed not to wipe out the forget-me-nots the garden came with. In fact
they're slowly sneaking round the lawn all by themselves:-)

Last year I grew mixed cornflowers in pale pinks and blues. They self-seed and were a
huge success. You just sprinkle the seeds, rake 'em in and water. They do the other
stuff themselves:-)

Sweet peas were a success too. I made tripods out of canes and let them climb up.
They smelt divine and were all sari-colours. If you keep picking they keep growing,
so everyone I know got a bunch and the kid's teacher got two.

Liz

Old 07-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Suz
writes

I'm now having another look at seeds and want more like this. Totally easy
to grow, the sort you can't kill. Don't care if they spread like wildfire -
so much the better. I like cottage style, with really soft pink blue and
white, and lots of soft green. Is there anything like nasturtiums, but not
bright yellow or orange?

Any suggestions of idiot proof seeds?

Lots of composites are pretty simple to grow - e.g. Pot Marigolds
(Calendula officinalis), Cornflowers (Centaurea cyanus), Cosmos (Cosmos
bipinnatus).

Among the mallows, rose mallow (Lavatera trimestris) and annual malope
(Malope trifida) are easy. So is Lavatera mauritanica, but it's arguable
whether it's worth growing. Common Mallow (Malva sylvestris) isn't too
hard either.

Honesty (Lunaria annua) is another easy plant.

I find evening primroses (Oenothera biennis agg) seed themselves
readily. So do Welsh poppies (Meconopsis cambrica), but they're
difficult to introduce in the first place.

Kenilworth Ivy (Cymbalaria muralis) is another self seeder (I find it to
be rather a weed), but it does have a mounding habit not dissimilar to
nasturtiums, and has pale blue flowers. I don't know how easy it is to
establish in the first place.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Suz

[...]

Thankyou very much Kay. I have lady's mantle already which I adore but now
want all the rest. Shiley poppies I'd never heard of, but don't they sound
scrummy:

Papaver rhoeas Mother Of Pearl (Fairy Wings)
Hardy Annual. One of the easiest garden plants in the world to grow.
Beautiful silky petals in extraordinary shades of colour from greys to dusty
blues, soft pinks, some are picotee edged with white and cream, some are
speckled with reds, whites and creams. Unique and beautiful. Flowers summer.
Height 25-35cm (10
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/...2163/1?SA=1303

and this

Nicotiana x sanderae Fragrant Cloud
sweetly scented flowers
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/...6534/1?SA=1303

and this

Clarkia pulchella 'Snowflake'
I just love this Clarkia! Very, very long blooming (3-4 months). Charming
pure white, single lobed flowers in bunches on a 12-15 plant with slender
leaves. Clarkias of course are very long lasting as a cut flower, and this
one is a beautiful addition to any bouquet! Reseeds!
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/b...ulchella_S.htm

Seeing my surname is Clarke, I'll just have to buy that one.

thanks
Suzanne

Old 08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Suz

Kenilworth Ivy (Cymbalaria muralis) is another self seeder (I find it to
be rather a weed), but it does have a mounding habit not dissimilar to
nasturtiums, and has pale blue flowers. I don't know how easy it is to
establish in the first place.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Hi SR
couldn't find Cymbalaria but wondered if it was the same as this?

Linaria maroccana Fairy Lights Mixed
Hardy Annual. Pretty little flowers resembling tiny antirrhinums are freely
produced over a long period in many beautiful colours. An effective and
easily grown annual.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/1268/1

thanks
Suzanne

Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Suz

Sweet peas were a success too. I made tripods out of canes and let them

climb up.
They smelt divine and were all sari-colours. If you keep picking they keep

growing,
so everyone I know got a bunch and the kid's teacher got two.

Liz

Love sweet peas. Going to have a go with this one:

Lathyrus odoratus Borderline
Hardy Annual Climber. This elegant variety produces sprays of attractive,
wavy snow white blooms, with magenta margins and a dusting of rouge blusher
on their wings. Superb garden cut flower with the most delicious fragrance.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/...6875/1?SA=1303

thanks
Suzanne

Old 08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Suz
writes

Hi SR
couldn't find Cymbalaria but wondered if it was the same as this?

Linaria maroccana Fairy Lights Mixed
Hardy Annual. Pretty little flowers resembling tiny antirrhinums are freely
produced over a long period in many beautiful colours. An effective and
easily grown annual.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/1268/1

Cymbalaria muralis can also be found as Linaria cymbalaria, and an
alternative vernacular name is ivy-leaved toadflax, but it's not the
same as Linaria maroccana.

URL:http://www.plant-identification.co.u...iaceae/cymbala
ria-muralis.htm

--