Old 07-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Registered User

Question Slow-release fertiliser/potting compost

Can anyone tell me is it possible to mix slow-release fertiliser(Osmacote)
To bags of peat potting compost(80L)
I have been given a bag of Osmacote granules(controlled release 3-4 month.)
With No instructions on the amount to use.
I Would like to mix it with the 80litre bags
to pot-up some trailing geraniums and fuchsia plants,
As most of the plants from my local nursery have Osmacote granules
in the compost and look good

PS: Hope this is not a dumb Question
Regards Samantha
Old 08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Rod

Default Slow-release fertiliser/potting compost

--
sam

I wouldn't put the osmocote in yet, well you probably won't be potting anything
yet anyway. Save it 'til you're potting vigorously growing young plants in
spring/summer, then around 5gm/litre should be OK - more for bigger stronger
plants, less for smaller ones. Don't overpot and *don't* overwater, especially
if it's warm as well - that can result in a flush of fertiliser release
sufficient to kill roots. Do remember some plants aren't too keen on osmocote
or similar, the one that's caught me out is Streptocarpus. Don't go overboard
and put it in everything, keep some plants as 'controls' so you know if you're
doing good or harm.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 09-02-2004, 12:19 AM
David Hill

You might find it easier to add to the individual pot as it is not always
easy to mix it evenly through a full bag of compost.

If you are keeping your plants outside then it is a bit early to add the
fertilizer though if the plants are inside then go ahead.
Also depends on the life of the fertilizer, as slow release comes in forms
from 4 months to 2 years

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries