Old 08-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default berries on nandina domestica?

My local garden centre says that nandina domestica will produce a good
show of red berries for Christmas. According to books, it only produce
berries after a very warm summer.....so I'm wondering if urglers have
seen one with berries in the UK, and whereabouts?

Janet
Old 08-02-2004, 02:44 PM
PK

Janet Baraclough .. wrote:
My local garden centre says that nandina domestica will produce a
good show of red berries for Christmas. According to books, it only
produce berries after a very warm summer.....so I'm wondering if
urglers have seen one with berries in the UK, and whereabouts?

Janet

Every year!

SW london

pk

Old 08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"PK" wrote in message ...
Janet Baraclough .. wrote:
My local garden centre says that nandina domestica will produce a
good show of red berries for Christmas. According to books, it only
produce berries after a very warm summer.....so I'm wondering if
urglers have seen one with berries in the UK, and whereabouts?

Every year!

SW london

Me too, planted one for an elderly Lady in W. London about 5 years ago and
that always has berries every year. It's a good sized plant btw.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
371 data units completed.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message after Janet Baraclough

My local garden centre says that nandina domestica will produce a good
show of red berries for Christmas. According to books, it only produce
berries after a very warm summer.....so I'm wondering if urglers have
seen one with berries in the UK, and whereabouts?

Never seen any on ours.
--

If we get them to fruit in the outskirts of London I would have thought you
would also succeed where you are Sacha, can't imagine it's just summer heat

Old 08-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message after Janet Baraclough

My local garden centre says that nandina domestica will produce a good
show of red berries for Christmas. According to books, it only produce
berries after a very warm summer.....so I'm wondering if urglers have
seen one with berries in the UK, and whereabouts?

Never seen any on ours.
--

If we get them to fruit in the outskirts of London I would have thought you
would also succeed where you are Sacha, can't imagine it's just summer heat
then, perhaps they like to be cross pollinated or their pollinator isn't
down your way. Must be more too it.

Interesting, thanks. London's probably drier than Devon where Sacha
is, and possibly a few degrees warmer?

Janet.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message following on from Janet and me
If we get them to fruit in the outskirts of London I would have thought

you
would also succeed where you are Sacha, can't imagine it's just summer

heat
then, perhaps they like to be cross pollinated or their pollinator

isn't
down your way. Must be more too it.

Interesting, thanks. London's probably drier than Devon where Sacha
is, and possibly a few degrees warmer?

I think I've solved the mystery, though I haven't been out to check on

ours
yet. The variety 'Nana' doesn't berry as freely, if at all and I suspect
that's what we've got. The following site has some very good descriptions
and pics: http://www.global-garden.com.au/back...09feature1.htm
--

Ah! Well the one I planted was certainly taller when I planted it than
"Nana" is supposed to get so that may well explain it.