GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vitis coignetiae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/52124-vitis-coignetiae.html)

thomas f 09-02-2004 03:04 PM

Vitis coignetiae

Hello from Lincoln,

I planted this vine last week. It was pot grown, purchased from a garden
centre and stands about 4ft high. Should I cut it back or just tie it in to
the pergola?
Also, how long before it covers the pergola, 20 x 14 ft and 10ft high. I
didn't get a lot of help from the garden centre or from the WWW.

Thankyou

Nick Maclaren 09-02-2004 03:14 PM

Vitis coignetiae

In article ,
"thomas f" writes:

| I planted this vine last week. It was pot grown, purchased from a garden
| centre and stands about 4ft high. Should I cut it back or just tie it in to
| the pergola?

Tie it in, being careful not to break its shoots or cut it - if it
had been kept a little warm, its sap might have started to rise,
and it could bleed badly. Next year, you can prune it pretty
hard, but do it after leaf fall and before (say) the end of
January.

| Also, how long before it covers the pergola, 20 x 14 ft and 10ft high. I
| didn't get a lot of help from the garden centre or from the WWW.

It depends on how large it is at present. A few years. Mine will
have a pretty decent cover for that area in its third year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham 10-02-2004 11:41 PM

Vitis coignetiae

"thomas f" wrote in message
Hello from Lincoln,

I planted this vine last week. It was pot grown, purchased from a garden
centre and stands about 4ft high. Should I cut it back or just tie it in

the pergola?
Also, how long before it covers the pergola, 20 x 14 ft and 10ft high. I
didn't get a lot of help from the garden centre or from the WWW.

Thankyou

Its a bit late to prune now especially if its been in a mild place, you can
cut them hard back to the framework while dormant (usually do mine in
december just as the leaves go) should only take it a couple of years to
cover your space its pretty vigorous, wish I had put it up a big tree
instead of on a post :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk