GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Valentine gift (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/52332-valentine-gift.html)

Robert E A Harvey 11-02-2004 11:08 PM

Valentine gift

I want to give my wife a rose bush for valentine's day.

Any thoughts?
Varieties?
bare rooted or containered?

bobharvey {snaily thing} europe {spot} com

Brian Watson 13-02-2004 12:31 AM

Valentine gift

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
om...
I want to give my wife a rose bush for valentine's day.

Any thoughts?
Varieties?
bare rooted or containered?

bobharvey {snaily thing} europe {spot} com

Any posting including the words "Valentine's Day", "wife" and "bush" may get
unlooked-for responses.

;-)
--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop

Victoria Clare 13-02-2004 12:32 AM

Valentine gift

(Robert E A Harvey) wrote in
om:

I want to give my wife a rose bush for valentine's day.

Any thoughts?
Varieties?
bare rooted or containered?

Suppliers of bare root roses don't in my experience tend to be very good on
delivering for particular dates. They deliver to suit the rose, not the
owner. ;-)

If you want one for Saturday, best go for a containerised plant from a
local nursery, but I'd suggest *not* one that's been forced into flower
early for the event. ( Roses are pretty tough so it will probably get over
even that, but it might be a bit under the weather for the next year or
so.)

If you want a classic dark red scented rose that is easy to grow and has a
long flowering period, I'd suggest Velvet Fragrance.

There was a discussion of the best red roses on urg a while back - if you
try Google Groups you might find other recommendations there.

Roses like manure. (It may not be romantic, but it's true.) Get a bag of
pelleted stuff to mulch it with if you don't have a ready supply to hand.

Victoria

Spider 13-02-2004 12:33 AM

Valentine gift

Hi Robert,
What a lovely idea. Possibilites may be:
Rosa Lovely Lady, rose pink, fragrant, HT.
R. Lovers' Meeting, orange, slightly fragrant, HT.
R. My Joy, deep pink, frag., HT.
R. Valentine Heart, soft apricot pink, v. frag., Floribunda.

Another idea would be to choose a rose with her name, or which reflects her
name in some way. The RHS and many rose growers keep lists of themed roses
or roses with first names, for just this kind of occasion.

Hope you find what you want.
Spider

jane 13-02-2004 12:36 AM

Valentine gift

~
~Another idea would be to choose a rose with her name, or which reflects her
~name in some way. The RHS and many rose growers keep lists of themed roses
~or roses with first names, for just this kind of occasion.
~
~Hope you find what you want.
~Spider
~

http://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/index.lasso
has a large database of rose names.

Should have something appropriate listed.

~
~Robert E A Harvey wrote in message
. com...
~ I want to give my wife a rose bush for valentine's day.
~
~ Any thoughts?
~ Varieties?
~ bare rooted or containered?
~
~ bobharvey {snaily thing} europe {spot} com
~
~

--
jane

Mark Twain

Victoria Clare 13-02-2004 02:36 PM

Valentine gift

Victoria Clare wrote in
.206:

If you want a classic dark red scented rose that is easy to grow and
has a long flowering period, I'd suggest Velvet Fragrance.

I've just remembered that the name of the other one I was trying to
remember is Deep Secret - also deeply red, velvety, and fragrant.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

martin 13-02-2004 02:40 PM

Valentine gift

http://www.everyrose.com/EveryRose.l...=34481&-search

http://www.everyrose.com/EveryRose.l...=38745&-search
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad