Old 15-02-2004, 02:09 PM
shazzbat

Default Parsnips

I have had a very low success rate with parsnips, they just don't show. I
have tried several varieties including tender and true, Avon resister and
student. This year I am intending to try the method of germinating them on
wet tissue paper and then transplanting. Has anybody tried this? With what
success? And how big do you let them get before planting out?

TIA

Steve

Old 26-02-2004, 08:15 PM
D Russell

"John Towill" wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:51:32 +0000, shazzbat wrote:
I have had a very low success rate with parsnips, they just don't show.

I too would like info on this issue - I'd love to grow parsnips - my
results over 2 years trying have been 1 parsnip!!!

My FIL has recommeneded very fresh seed, and soaking for 24hrs before
sowing - but that got me nowhere!

I'm contemplating pot sowing indoors in an effort to get the B*ggers to
germinate and then plant outdoors. It could well be my heavy damp high
clay content welsh soil affecting the germination.

I grew parsnips (Gladiator from Suttons), very successful, we are still
eating them! Though the first ones were much longer, the second sowing
short and very fat with a tendency to fork, I think that was because the
soil was not as deep.
Mind you it may have been beginners luck, as the year before my Brussels
Sprouts were excellent, this year a poorer crop and a lack of hardness.

Cheers
John T

--
If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.

I read somewhere that Sprouts only form up a decent heart if the soil they
are in is firm enough.
Duncan