Old 03-03-2004, 12:45 AM
martin

Default Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:36:07 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:57:38 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Some areas of the UK do have the kind of trucks that grab a wheely-bin
and empty it, but the ones I've seen are never operated by one person
alone. There's a driver, plus a team of fetchers who move the bins to
the grab and remove them afterwards.

Ah. That's what we had 'til a few years ago.

Not than anyone cares, but here's a picture of the local arrangement.

http://www.hampton.va.us/publicworks...r_garbage.html

Looks like the same as we have in Zuid Holland. There's a letter in
the current Dutch Consumer Association magazine from some one
complaining, that they used their own container, instead of the one
provided. The bin men chucked the container and it's contents in the
back of the garbage truck and crushed it.
The local bye-law says anything put out that's not in a provided
rubbish bin will be treated as rubbish :-)
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 09-03-2004, 10:16 AM
BridgeP

In article , Victoria Clare

Subject: Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket
From: Victoria Clare
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:22:34 +0000

Frogleg wrote in
:

We put the wheely bins out at the curb, and they're
collected by 1-man trucks with automatic grabbing arms, rather than
individuals who empty bins or collect bags.

Living in a city has some compensations then!

I don't think that would work in our narrow, steep and winding cornish
lanes, where every house is a different distance from the road, and there
is certainly no curb (or for that matter, pavement).

The houses are quite widely separated too, and I think one reason the
collection service is so limited is that running collection services over a
long distance for each house is relatively expensive.

Your grabbing trucks might be able to pick up rubbish for 10 houses in, say
200 yards : our binmen might have to travel half a mile or more to do the
same number of houses.

Victoria

I presume that you pay the same council tax as the more urban residents of your
council area. Don't make your council's case for them. Otherwise you may find
that somebody suggests that because collections in the country are more
expensive then they show be restricted in some way.

Peter Bridge