Old 16-02-2004, 11:28 PM
An Metet

Default Moles: How can I legally kill 'em.

I am told that I can no longer kill moles by using the usual poison. In
fact to do so one has to have a special licence. The Queen for instance is
allowed to poison the little sons of *******. Whilst I was in France last
year I watched a mole catcher at work in a vineyard. She had a device
which fired a cartridge into the tunnel. Effective every time. The shot
was triggered by the mole clearing its tunnel, the mole woman having
depresed it before setting the trap. I am told such devices are illegal in
the UK! The cost was about £20. I am also told that a variation on this
does exist in the UK which spears the little parasite instead of blowing
its head off. Anyone ever seen or used such a device? Where can I buy a
couple?
I have consulted the WWW used some of there alleged remedies, not one of
them worked, a waste of time. Anyone out there got a sure fired way of
getting rid of 'em?

Old 17-02-2004, 02:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message r
from An Metet contains these words:

I have consulted the WWW used some of there alleged remedies, not one of
them worked, a waste of time. Anyone out there got a sure fired way of
getting rid of 'em?

An infusion of ferret litter in a watering can, and regularly fed down
the mole runs.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Brian Watson

"An Metet" wrote in message
ter...
I am told that I can no longer kill moles by using the usual poison.

True.

Following recent EC regulations on the use of poisons in the garden dynamite
is the only option remaining to the homeowner.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 17-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:54:33 -0500 (EST), An Metet wrote:

[...]

btw it's also illegal to kill moles in Austria and Germany (I think that
applied to professionals as well), although you are allowed to annoy them
so they go away(if you get lucky enough). You should see the state of our
neighbours lawn. I hope they don't get over to ours!
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old 17-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Jan Spanna

wrote:

I am told that I can no longer kill moles by using the usual poison. In
fact to do so one has to have a special licence. The Queen for instance is
allowed to poison the little sons of *******.

You don't you prick, you learn to live with them or use a live trap
and relocate them.

Old 17-02-2004, 09:25 AM
mlv

Brian Watson wrote:

Following recent EC regulations on the use of poisons
in the garden dynamite is the only option remaining to
the homeowner.

I think the Jasper Carrot method is still legal, providing you possess a
valid shotgun certificate.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' before firing off your reply-

Old 17-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:09:45 -0000, mlv wrote:

Brian Watson wrote:

Following recent EC regulations on the use of poisons
in the garden dynamite is the only option remaining to
the homeowner.

I think the Jasper Carrot method is still legal, providing you possess a
valid shotgun certificate.

You're showing your age now, mlv! :-)

Old 17-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Mary Fisher

"An Metet" wrote in message
ter...
[...]

Why do you want to get rid of them?

Mary

Old 17-02-2004, 10:32 AM
martin

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:49:19 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"An Metet" wrote in message
ster...
I am told that I can no longer kill moles by using the usual poison.

True.

Following recent EC regulations on the use of poisons in the garden dynamite
is the only option remaining to the homeowner.

Semtex gives more bang per buck.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 17-02-2004, 10:36 AM
David Hill

".......Semtex gives more bang per buck....."

Yes but it's moles not deer we are trying to get rid of.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-02-2004, 10:38 AM
David Hill

"........ You don't you prick, you learn to live with them or use a live
trap and relocate them.

That is illegal, o gracious one, and simply gives the problem to someone
else....."

Ah! But if Jan Spanna would care to set up a reserve for them then we
could all take them there.........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries