GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   treating a wooden compost bin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/52872-treating-wooden-compost-bin.html)

Tugger 17-02-2004 10:31 PM

treating a wooden compost bin

.... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

Richard
Aberdeenshire.

Alan Gould 18-02-2004 05:49 AM

treating a wooden compost bin

In article , Tugger
writes
... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

Composting material will not accelerate the rotting of a bin's untreated
timbers, but unless they are hard wood they will deteriorate in 3-5
years in most garden applications. You could increase their life span by
lining the bin with a PVC sheet, or other protective membrane.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Nick Wagg 18-02-2004 09:34 AM

Tugger wrote:

... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

The walls of my main compost heap are made from pallets. They
have been there for at least 15 years to my knowledge. I have
not treated them but it is conceivable that they already contained
some preservative.
--
Nick Wagg

Nick Maclaren 18-02-2004 10:11 AM

treating a wooden compost bin

In article ,
Nick Wagg wrote:
Tugger wrote:

... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

The walls of my main compost heap are made from pallets. They
have been there for at least 15 years to my knowledge. I have
not treated them but it is conceivable that they already contained
some preservative.

I would say 'almost certain' - and the preservative was probably CCA.
Some softwood is fairly resinous, but I can't see any cheap sources
lasting longer than a few years when almost continually damp and in
close contact with compost, before showing at least SOME signs of
serious rot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rod 18-02-2004 06:46 PM

"Tugger" wrote in message ...
... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

I use cheap untreated softwood and accept that it will become compost itself in a few years.

Rod

nambucca 18-02-2004 07:57 PM

"Tugger" wrote in message
... I'm building a wooden compost bin ... and am worried that it will rot

as
quickly as the compost ... OK, not quite ... so I guess I need to treat

the
wood ... garden organically, so wonder what type of preservative would you
recommend ? Any info appreciated.

Richard
Aberdeenshire.

I treat the outside of my reasembled pallet ones with creosote every year

but i line my bins with heavy duty polythene stapled inside and lapping in
wards at base .....which i then stand on concrete or brick base
,,,,,,,,,,,had no problems what ever with rotting or making perfect compost
and i throw in lashings of urine too