Old 18-02-2004, 07:33 PM
les

Default Cordyline Red Star - Frost Damage

Last summer I planted a Cordyline Red Star. As I live in the North East I
was concerned about frost damage so in October I tied up the leaves.
Whenever a frost was forecast I religiously covered the plant with a plant
cosy. Last week I decided to untie the plant and found that nearly all of
the leaves have been destroyed by the frost. I have noticed that other
similar plants in the area which have been left to the elements are
relatively undamaged.

Where have I gone wrong? Should I not have tied up the leaves? Would it have
been better just to have left it unprotected? Afterall this has been a
comparitavely mild winter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Old 18-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , les
writes
Last summer I planted a Cordyline Red Star. As I live in the North East I
was concerned about frost damage so in October I tied up the leaves.
Whenever a frost was forecast I religiously covered the plant with a plant
cosy. Last week I decided to untie the plant and found that nearly all of
the leaves have been destroyed by the frost. I have noticed that other
similar plants in the area which have been left to the elements are
relatively undamaged.

Where have I gone wrong? Should I not have tied up the leaves? Would it have
been better just to have left it unprotected? Afterall this has been a
comparitavely mild winter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Wonder where abouts in the NE you are Les? I have a red leaved
cordyline that survived just fine outside for me last year, and is still
ok this year so far - exposed to the elements. I also have a green one
that is now about 20 feet tall. (Both bought without botanical name
labels). But I live near the coast and I do think it helps us
climate-wise. In Amble, not far from me, there are quite a few tree
sized cordylines surviving just fine. The good news is that if it has
been cut down by frost there is every reason to believe it may come back
from underground. My friend who lived in Edinburgh thought she had lost
hers one particularly cold winter, chopped it down to a stump and she
got three new plants from the base. So don't give up all hope yet.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Old 18-02-2004, 11:28 PM
PK

Chris Boulby wrote:
My friend who lived in Edinburgh
thought she had lost hers one particularly cold winter, chopped it
down to a stump and she got three new plants from the base. So don't
give up all hope yet.

The cornish technique is to chop down fron the top any frost damaged
specimens and stop when solid stem is found - that way you keep maximum
height . no need to go to the ground unless it is dead (mushy!) all the way
to the ground.

pk