GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pruning frost-bitten trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/52945-pruning-frost-bitten-trees.html)

Brian Mitchell 18-02-2004 11:04 PM

pruning frost-bitten trees

These are common deciduous woodland trees, planted three years ago. In
their short lives they've twice come into leaf and then been hit hard by
a late frost. As a result, many of them have lost their leaders and are
dividing (feathering?) in their growth.

The question is: should I prune to encourage a new leader, or should I
let the tree take care of that for itself?

Does anyone have experience of this?

Brian Mitchell

Nick Maclaren 18-02-2004 11:11 PM

pruning frost-bitten trees

In article ,
Brian Mitchell wrote:
These are common deciduous woodland trees, planted three years ago. In
their short lives they've twice come into leaf and then been hit hard by
a late frost. As a result, many of them have lost their leaders and are
dividing (feathering?) in their growth.

The question is: should I prune to encourage a new leader, or should I
let the tree take care of that for itself?

The tree will survive, but it may become bushy. If you want them to
grow with a single stem, then prune out all except the strongest.
If you prefer a bushy tree, then prune out a leader. It is as simple
as that!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Spider 24-02-2004 11:43 PM

pruning frost-bitten trees

Hi Brian,
If you're growing the trees as standards, it is better to have just one
leader. The fork made by more than one leader can gather debris, causing
that part of the tree to rot. This can cause a weakened branch to tear and
fall - letting in more disease.
Wait for warmer weather, then reshape your tree/s.
Spider