Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Kay Easton

Default o/t : found a mouse in my loft!

In article , Nick
writes
are mice known to inhabit loft spaces or could this just be one mouse
that has become trapped in the loft for some reason? - (bearing in mind
that its a semi detatched house with a fairly high roof)!

Mice will inhabit anywhere which has a food supply. My mother recalls
lying in bed in rented accommodation listening to them thundering around
above the ceiling, and an ex-boyfriend in an unaccustomed fit of
cleanliness decided to clean his gas cooker, and found a nest of mice
snuggled up warm close to the pilot light.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from Nick contains these words:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:18:36 -0000, "Tom Bennett"
wrote:
"Nick" wrote

i've told the wife that i'm clearing all those bin bags of her old
clothes out this weekend.

snip

If you successfully carry that out without serious injury to yourself,
please let me know how. I've been trying for years :-)

when she got to know there was a mouse up that was her idea ;-)

There's cunning.....

--
Tony http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Lobby/bother/harrangue your MP about the rising tide of SPAM

Old 19-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Janet Bennett

Default found a mouse in my loft!

Does this mean when you sell your CD writer on E Bay it comes with its own
mouse!

Nick" wrote in message
My loft is fairly spacious and boarded out but surrounded with loads of
bin liners with clothes and other non essential thing in. i put a box
up there 2 weeks ago which had some polysterene packaging in and i
noticed yesterday that there were some mouse droppings and a small hole
made in the box. (it was a cdwriter that i'd packaged up that i planned
to sell on ebay so it was all sealed up ready for despatch if i sold
it).

i've removed the box and there were signs of polysterene that had been
knawed inside and one or two droppings also. from the amount of
droppings i saw i wouldn't have thought it had been there long, there
was no smell of urine either that i noticed. i cleaned the area up and
set a couple of traps last night, within a couple of hours i'd caught
one mouse. i checked this morning and there were no more caught.

we had mice in the garden a few years ago and after erradicating about 6
of them we didn't catch anymore.

are mice known to inhabit loft spaces or could this just be one mouse
that has become trapped in the loft for some reason? - (bearing in mind
that its a semi detatched house with a fairly high roof)!

any thoughts anyone?

Old 19-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Nick contains these words:

My loft is fairly spacious and boarded out but surrounded with loads of
bin liners with clothes

Ideal breeding habitat for mice.

are mice known to inhabit loft spaces

Yep...we heard ours racing about the loft in hobnail boots at night.
Then honey started dripping through the bedroom ceiling, and it turned
out the mice had found a bees nest under the loft insulation.

or could this just be one mouse
that has become trapped in the loft for some reason?

IME, there is no such thing as "just one" mouse :-). Iirc, females can
produce a litter every 6 weeks all year round.

Janet.

Old 20-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick
writes
are mice known to inhabit loft spaces or could this just be one mouse
that has become trapped in the loft for some reason? - (bearing in mind
that its a semi detatched house with a fairly high roof)!

Mice will inhabit anywhere which has a food supply. My mother recalls
lying in bed in rented accommodation listening to them thundering around
above the ceiling, and an ex-boyfriend in an unaccustomed fit of
cleanliness decided to clean his gas cooker, and found a nest of mice
snuggled up warm close to the pilot light.

We had a nest close to the motor in our old chest freezer (working) in the
shed. they couldn't get into the freezer but they had a snug home base.

The clever ones nested in an occupied beehive where it was warm, dry and
there was food on tap. Never had to leave - until those horrid humans lifted
the lid ...

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 21-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Nick contains these words:

no more were caught in the loft but i've left traps under the cage still
and also in the loft which will remain for a while i think!

I'd put something over them, like a dish with one side jacked-up enough
for a mouse to get in: if there's any light in there and birds can get
in you might have a sparrow in your trap when they start nest-building.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/