Old 21-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default o/t : found a mouse in my loft!

The message
from Nick contains these words:

no more were caught in the loft but i've left traps under the cage still
and also in the loft which will remain for a while i think!

I'd put something over them, like a dish with one side jacked-up enough
for a mouse to get in: if there's any light in there and birds can get
in you might have a sparrow in your trap when they start nest-building.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 21-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Jayne

Default found a mouse in my loft!

"Nick" wrote in message
My loft is fairly spacious and boarded out but surrounded with loads of
bin liners with clothes and other non essential thing in. i put a box
up there 2 weeks ago which had some polysterene packaging in and i
noticed yesterday that there were some mouse droppings and a small hole
made in the box. (it was a cdwriter that i'd packaged up that i planned
to sell on ebay so it was all sealed up ready for despatch if i sold
it).

When we moved into our house we had mice in the loft, kitchen, under the
floorboards, garage & garden & we had to get the council mouse man in. He
got rid of the mice in the house with poison & our two cats removed the ones
in the garage & garden (which is a much more environmentally friendly
method) & we haven't had any since. How the previous owners lived like that
I don't know!

I'd suggest getting a sachet or two of mouse poison & putting them in your
loft just in case there are more.

Old 22-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jayne" contains these words:

When we moved into our house we had mice in the loft, kitchen, under the
floorboards, garage & garden & we had to get the council mouse man in. He
got rid of the mice in the house with poison & our two cats removed the ones
in the garage & garden (which is a much more environmentally friendly
method) & we haven't had any since. How the previous owners lived like that
I don't know!

I'd suggest getting a sachet or two of mouse poison & putting them in your
loft just in case there are more.

Mice eat a little and then move somewhere else and eat a little, unlike
rats, which will take a meal in one place.

You need to dot several containers of bait about the place, and the best
place to put them is against a vertical surface, as mice tend to travel
along the bottom of walls etc.

(Always set mousetraps facing the wall too.)

Old 22-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:58:56 +0000 (UTC), Jayne wrote:

I'd suggest getting a sachet or two of mouse poison & putting them
in your loft just in case there are more.

Trouble with poison is that a) it's not a particulary pleasant death
b) they'll die somewhere inaccessable to all but flys and smells...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 22-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:58:56 +0000 (UTC), Jayne wrote:

I'd suggest getting a sachet or two of mouse poison & putting them
in your loft just in case there are more.

Trouble with poison is that a) it's not a particulary pleasant death
b) they'll die somewhere inaccessable to all but flys and smells...

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims just
get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage of
food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow nutrients
to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the animal
loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain involved.

Old 22-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Jack Hammer

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:35:54 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:58:56 +0000 (UTC), Jayne wrote:

I'd suggest getting a sachet or two of mouse poison & putting them
in your loft just in case there are more.

Trouble with poison is that a) it's not a particulary pleasant death
b) they'll die somewhere inaccessable to all but flys and smells...

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims just
get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage of
food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow nutrients
to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the animal
loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain involved.

Only a right arsehole could describe an horrendous death by warfarin
as "not particularly unpleasant"

See how smug you would be if you were forced to ingest it!

Prat.

To the original poster, use a live trap which is very effective and
release outside.
Old 22-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims just
get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage of
food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow nutrients
to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the animal
loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain involved.

How do you know?

Mary

Old 22-02-2004, 11:37 AM
martin

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:10:32 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims just
get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage of
food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow nutrients
to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the animal
loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain involved.

How do you know?

because it's used in humans as an anti clotting agent.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 22-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Why trap them? It does not cost much to feed them well and they do one hell
of a lot less damage than cats.

Franz

Old 22-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jayne" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

The one we shook out of the back of one of the easy chairs did not take long
to get used to come and eat his daily ration of cheese on the tiles in front
of the fireplace.

Franz

Old 22-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Jack Hammer

wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
.. .

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims just
get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage of
food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow nutrients
to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the animal
loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain involved.

How do you know?

because it's used in humans as an anti clotting agent.

The village idiot mentality is astounding!