Old 21-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Chris

Default Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?

Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?
--
Chris
Old 21-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Janet Bennett

Daft Answer I know, but probably people collected them before the cows were
led back into the fields - probably cows like them for breakfast too!

]...

Old 21-02-2004, 08:12 PM
JennyC

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?
--
Chris

One feels inclined to answer, 'because they go so well with the egg bacon and
sausage.....'

But it's probably as they are then at their freshest. One site suggests they are
easier to see in the early light, while another says 'only mad dogs and
Englishmen go out in the mid day sun'

Jenny :~)

Old 21-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Daft Answer I know, but probably people collected them before the cows

were
led back into the fields - probably cows like them for breakfast too!

Even dafter answer: Because if you don't collect them early, there won't be
any left by the time you get there, since they will have been collected by
those who did collect them early.

Franz

Old 21-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Mary Fisher

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Daft Answer I know, but probably people collected them before the cows

were
led back into the fields - probably cows like them for breakfast too!

Even dafter answer: Because if you don't collect them early, there won't

be
any left by the time you get there, since they will have been collected by
those who did collect them early.

Dafter answer still: because if they weren't they wouldn't legally be
allowed to be described as 'morning gathered'.

Mary

Franz

Old 22-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Janet Bennett" wrote in message

Daft Answer I know, but probably people collected them before the cows

were
led back into the fields - probably cows like them for breakfast too!

Even dafter answer: Because if you don't collect them early, there won't be
any left by the time you get there, since they will have been collected by
those who did collect them early.

You have hit on the correct one, however daft you might think it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Larry Stoter

Chris ] wrote:

Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?

I don't, necessarily.

In fact, collecting them early can be a bad idea - if there has been a
heavy dew, they'll be wet, which results in them tending to go off very
quickly and/or not cook very well.

Generally though, mushrooms first emerge overnight and, as has been
mentioned, if you aren't first, you won't get any. Although, several
varieties - parasol, cep - can take several days to mature. If you're
sure nobody else is going to grab them, it is usually best to wait.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 22-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Ian Cundell

In article ], Chris ]
wrote:

Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?

Because they are Satan's fungus and only devil worshippers are out and
about at that hour.

Stomach heaves at memory of school cheese and mushroom flan

Next week: Marmite - spawn of Beelzebub or Saddam's WMD?

--
"Noah's Ark is a problem...We'll have to call
it early quantum state phenomenon--
Old 22-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Alan Holmes

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Daft Answer I know, but probably people collected them before the cows

were
led back into the fields - probably cows like them for breakfast too!

Even dafter answer: Because if you don't collect them early, there won't

be
any left by the time you get there, since they will have been collected by
those who did collect them early.

So that's why I can never find any, but I'm too lazy to get up early anyway.

Alan

Old 22-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Why do people collect mushrooms early in the morning?
--
Chris

Mushrooms grow fast; they come up overnight and in the morning are at
the unopened button stage. They are clean, white, fresh, need no
peeling, and taste and cook better (imho). The older, open ones tend to
shrink and bleed juice more in the frying pan; or if you're making soup,
they make it unattractively dark.

If you pick the very big open ones, the top has a skin that needs to be
peeled off, the gills are very dark, the texture is a bit rubbery and
the flavour isn't as good.

Janet