Old 29-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Franz Heymann

Default grubs

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:59:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

We now often have more house sparrows than chaffinches at the feeders.
{:-))

3 and 2 respectively? :-)

About 30 and 20 And 20 jackdaws.

Franz

Old 29-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

6 looks like VI looks like
six, however you write it.

If you write 6 upside down, it looks like 9, and if you write VI back
to front it looks like four.

Janet

Old 29-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

It was a most discerning bird, for it would wait until something very
young and busty approached, whereupon it would give a piercing
wolf-whistle.

Several times I received a very nasty look.....

I remember being framed by a parrot, that behaved in a similar way :-)

There was a parrot, with an extensive vocabulary, that resided in the
Dovercourt Hotel, where people waiting for the Harwich - Hoek ferry
sometimes had a meal, including lots of truck drivers.

On holiday, passing a neighbouring chalet with the dog, a parrot sees
sport: "Miaow!" Dog stops, looks round, ignores parrot as parrots aren't
exactly feline.

Dog turns back: "Miaow!".

Dog spins round.

Parrot: "Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!"

Dog: "GrrrrrrRufff!"

Parrot: "Miaow!"

Dog, (demented): "Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow!"

I had to resort to a lead.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 01-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , martin
writes

The last cock sparrow in our garden went quite mad: throwing himself
against the shed window, then, when we covered that, against the bedroom
window; then he 'adopted' the baby bluetits in the nesting box: he sat
on the box all day, trying to keep the parents away. The woodpecker also
attacked the box, so we hung a cage over the box. (After that all went
well, and the bluetits raised their young. We left the cage on there for
years.)
In any case, I wondered whether it was some sort of bird flu that had
this strange effect.

I wondered the same. It was certainly nothing to do with change of
habitat.

We can get up to 14 or 15 sparrows at one time in our garden. Don't seem
to have reduced in numbers, also long tailed tits and now loads of
blackbirds, a thrush r two and greenfinches since we hung one of those
bird 'tables' from the oak tree. They seem to love feeding off that
rather than from the bird feeders.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 01-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

We can get up to 14 or 15 sparrows at one time in our garden. Don't seem
to have reduced in numbers, also long tailed tits and now loads of
blackbirds, a thrush r two and greenfinches since we hung one of those
bird 'tables' from the oak tree. They seem to love feeding off that
rather than from the bird feeders.

When I were lad, t'sky would darken wit sparrows harvest time, 'appen.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

We can get up to 14 or 15 sparrows at one time in our garden. Don't seem
to have reduced in numbers, also long tailed tits and now loads of
blackbirds, a thrush r two and greenfinches since we hung one of those
bird 'tables' from the oak tree. They seem to love feeding off that
rather than from the bird feeders.

When I were lad, t'sky would darken wit sparrows harvest time, 'appen.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM