GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grubs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53430-grubs.html)

Sarah 24-02-2004 01:13 AM

grubs

hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well - two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

Jan 24-02-2004 01:13 AM

grubs

"Sarah" wrote in message
.. .
hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well - two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

They're really, really bad baddies! Vine weevil. Stomp on them or feed
them to the birds. These grubs will eat the roots of your plant and you
won't know it until the plant keels over and dies. The adults come out at
night and chomp on the edges of foliage, particularly fond of strawberries,
rhododendron, pieris.

Kay Easton 25-02-2004 08:43 AM

grubs

In article G_p_b.18404$ft.4933@newsfe1-win, Jan writes
"Sarah" wrote in message
. ..
hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well - two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

They're really, really bad baddies! Vine weevil. Stomp on them or feed
them to the birds. These grubs will eat the roots of your plant and you
won't know it until the plant keels over and dies. The adults come out at
night and chomp on the edges of foliage, particularly fond of strawberries,
rhododendron, pieris.

That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

shazzbat 25-02-2004 05:17 PM

grubs

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article G_p_b.18404$ft.4933@newsfe1-win, Jan writes
"Sarah" wrote in message
. ..
hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well -

two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

They're really, really bad baddies! Vine weevil. Stomp on them or feed
them to the birds. These grubs will eat the roots of your plant and you
won't know it until the plant keels over and dies. The adults come out

at
night and chomp on the edges of foliage, particularly fond of

strawberries,
rhododendron, pieris.

That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

I also thought it was a bit on the big side for a vine weevil. I found some
this week in the containers I was clearing and would say they were no longer
than 6mm-ish. But anyway, if in doubt I feed them to the robins. The robins
have done well this last week. I have an old tray underneath the robins`
favourite perch, and just put bugs in it. The robins are learning that me
going there might mean food and turn up fairly quickly nowadays.

Steve

Paul Simonite 25-02-2004 05:37 PM

grubs

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

My golden rule in the garden is: If it moves quickly it is almost
certainly a predator and thus welcome; if it undulates or wriggles
(except for garden worms) it is almost certainly a pest and is fed to
the chickens.

--
Cheers,
Compo

Poster welcomes constructive criticism.

Sarah 25-02-2004 09:42 PM

grubs

That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

My golden rule in the garden is: If it moves quickly it is almost
certainly a predator and thus welcome; if it undulates or wriggles
(except for garden worms) it is almost certainly a pest and is fed to
the chickens.

ok, got it, its a baddie. I did squish it and leave it for any passing birds
so that was ok.
But i am a bit worried i have an infestation. It is a new allotment and have
no idea how bad these grubs might be.
How long vine weevil grubs get to be? Even with my poor sense of space i can
confidently say this was much longer than 6mm.
What is a chafer? And is there anything i can do about these grubs?

nambucca 25-02-2004 11:16 PM

grubs

"Jan" wrote in message news:G_p_b.18404$ft.4933@newsfe1-win...
"Sarah" wrote in message
.. .
hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well -

two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

They're really, really bad baddies! Vine weevil. Stomp on them or feed
them to the birds. These grubs will eat the roots of your plant and you
won't know it until the plant keels over and dies. The adults come out at
night and chomp on the edges of foliage, particularly fond of

strawberries,
rhododendron, pieris.

Vine Weevil ..........water the entire allotment with a solution of

Armillotox every 10 days

nambucca 25-02-2004 11:16 PM

grubs

"Sarah" wrote in message
.. .
That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

My golden rule in the garden is: If it moves quickly it is almost
certainly a predator and thus welcome; if it undulates or wriggles
(except for garden worms) it is almost certainly a pest and is fed to
the chickens.

ok, got it, its a baddie. I did squish it and leave it for any passing

birds
so that was ok.
But i am a bit worried i have an infestation. It is a new allotment and

have
no idea how bad these grubs might be.
How long vine weevil grubs get to be? Even with my poor sense of space i

can
confidently say this was much longer than 6mm.
What is a chafer? And is there anything i can do about these grubs?

Water the entire allotment every 10 days with a solution of Armillotox

that will kill any unripened vine weevil eggs and a lot of other nasties too