Old 25-02-2004, 05:39 PM
John

Default Indoor plants - artificial light only

We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some plants?

John
Old 25-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Neil Jones

"John" wrote in message
We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea

what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get

artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some

plants?

John

As I understand it, fluorescent tubes (which you are likely to have in
your office) have a pretty good spectrum of light frequencies. If so, I
should think your plant will be OK.

But, if it is getting a constant 10 hours light per day, every day of
the year, then any photoperiodic response in the plant will probably not
be triggered. It depends on the particular plant, of course, but this
could include flowering and subsequent fruit production, etc.

Regards

Neil

Old 25-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"John" wrote in message
We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some plants?

Depends on the light intensity but normally these plants are chosen for
their hardiness under low light levels.
I would think it more likely to be one of the Fiscus sp. that a Citrus.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Neil Jones
writes

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like Ficus benjamina. They will tolerate a lot, as long as
they're not moved around or put in draughts. It will probably cope,
which is why it's one of the most frequently used plants for indoor
decoration.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 26-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:16:33 +0000, John wrote:

We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some plants?

Artificial lights will support some plants. If this is a Ficus
benjamina, which sounds likely, it will very probably suffer dramatic
leaf loss. Ficuses (Fici?) *hate* to be moved. If the new situation is
appropriate, the leaves will regrow.

Fluorescent lights several feet overhead are *not* ideal lighting for
most plants. Many thriving specimens seen in offices are the product
of services that nurture plants in ideal situations and then sort of
'loan' them for a couple of months before retrieving and nourishing
again. A plant that's in the dark (more than) 28% of a normal week is
not going to be happy. Watch and report back. :-)