Old 28-02-2004, 06:56 PM
John Griffiths

Default Garden compost or horse muck

Which is best for spreading around my border
1. Well rotted horse manure or
2. Compost from grass cuttings, kitchen waste etc which has rotted down
to a fine tilth soil.

TIA
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden U.K. http://www.johngriffiths.net

Old 28-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:38:48 +0000, John Griffiths
wrote:

Which is best for spreading around my border
1. Well rotted horse manure or
2. Compost from grass cuttings, kitchen waste etc which has rotted down
to a fine tilth soil.

This shouldn't be an either/or question. Both are good for garden soil
-- the manure provinding more nutrients; the compost more organic
matter. Both are best employed 'dug in' and not just spread around,
although they will both eventually trickle down. The only caveat I
know about horse manure is that it tends to be somewhat weedier than
the cow variety. Although "well-rotted" may have killed many weed
seeds. Enjoy!
Old 28-02-2004, 07:09 PM
nambucca

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
Which is best for spreading around my border
1. Well rotted horse manure or
2. Compost from grass cuttings, kitchen waste etc which has rotted down
to a fine tilth soil.

TIA
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden U.K. http://www.johngriffiths.net

I would use the garden compost this time of year but the horse manure

would be great round roses
Or you could mix both together and have best of both worlds

Old 29-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Franz Heymann

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
Which is best for spreading around my border
1. Well rotted horse manure or
2. Compost from grass cuttings, kitchen waste etc which has rotted down
to a fine tilth soil.

Either or both are best. {:-)

Franz