GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rosa 'Red Wing' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/54080-rosa-red-wing.html)

Colin Spooner 29-02-2004 11:23 PM

Rosa 'Red Wing'

I saw a photo in a gardening magazine recently of a rose called Red Wing,it
had huge red thorns on the stems.
I have tried unsuccesfully to find a stockist.
Does anyone have any suggestions please.
Many Thanks
Colin

Kay Easton 29-02-2004 11:25 PM

Rosa 'Red Wing'

In article , Colin Spooner
writes
I saw a photo in a gardening magazine recently of a rose called Red Wing,it
had huge red thorns on the stems.
I have tried unsuccesfully to find a stockist.
Does anyone have any suggestions please.

This sounds like Rosa spinossissima pteracantha (pteracantha means
winged thorn - the thorns are huge and translucent red on new stems)

Fairly widely available from nurseries as oposed to garden centres.
Scotts of Merriott and David Austin both sell it.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: