Old 01-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Ron Lowe

Default Whatever happened to...

Broad Bean, variety Meteor ??
I've grown these for many years but it appears that "they", (I guess the
seed companies), have withdrawn this particular variety. None are
advertised in the 2 catalogues I have and visits to 3 Garden Centres
have drawn a blank. One Garden Centre, surprisingly, had only 2 Broad
Bean varieties on sale.
Is this a sign that we gardeners are being "railroaded" into only having
the opportunity to buy those seeds from which the ubiquitous "they" make
the most profit ??
Comments, and any answer to my query most welcome.
--
Ron Lowe
Wisdom comes in 10 parts, 9 of which are silence.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Ron Lowe
writes
Broad Bean, variety Meteor ??
I've grown these for many years but it appears that "they", (I guess the
seed companies), have withdrawn this particular variety. None are
advertised in the 2 catalogues I have and visits to 3 Garden Centres
have drawn a blank. One Garden Centre, surprisingly, had only 2 Broad
Bean varieties on sale.
Is this a sign that we gardeners are being "railroaded" into only having
the opportunity to buy those seeds from which the ubiquitous "they" make
the most profit ??
Comments, and any answer to my query most welcome.

Marshalls are offering Meteor*Vroma in their 2004 catalogue, but they
don't appear in several other catalogues I have.

We usually grow Green Windsor (from Organic Gardening Catalogue who are
offering ten different varieties of Broad Bean). They suit our taste and
cultivation methods and they freeze well.

Marshalls: 01 945 466 711
OGC: www.OrganicCatalogue.com
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.