Old 01-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Rick

Default Need to screen view into neighbours conservatory What Tree/Shrub?

Dear Subscribers,

The front side facet of my conservatory looks directly into my
neighbours conservatory and I wish to screen this off (obscure glass
is inappropriate) with some kind of reasonably quick growing narrow
type evergreen (conifer perhaps).

The tree/shrub needs to be narrow as I don't want the leaves/branches
to encroach on my conservatory. The distance from the side of my
conservatory to my neighbours boundary which is controlled by a 5 foot
high fancy see through block brick wall is about 3 foot.

I would like to control the height of the tree/shrub to about 8 foot
but keep the body narrow.

Any suggestions please.

Many Thanks.

Rick.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Rick

Sacha wrote in message .uk...
Rick1/3/04 10:57

Dear Subscribers,

The front side facet of my conservatory looks directly into my
neighbours conservatory and I wish to screen this off (obscure glass
is inappropriate) with some kind of reasonably quick growing narrow
type evergreen (conifer perhaps).

The tree/shrub needs to be narrow as I don't want the leaves/branches
to encroach on my conservatory. The distance from the side of my
conservatory to my neighbours boundary which is controlled by a 5 foot
high fancy see through block brick wall is about 3 foot.

I would like to control the height of the tree/shrub to about 8 foot
but keep the body narrow.

You could grow a beech hedge which will retain its leaves if it's kept to
that height. They'll go brown but won't fall off. Another possibility is
yew but avoid leylandii, whatever you do. They do grow fast but they grow
very bushy, too. Aucuba and laurel are other possibilities and so is
Escallonia if you live in a mild area. That grows quite quickly but will
need to be trimmed into a hedge, as will anything in such a space. Lastly,
look at this site for Eucalyptus - fast growing, evergreen and lovely if
kept short because they retain the juvenile foliage. The Nursery has a well
deserved good reputation:
www.eucalyptus.co.uk/

Thank you for your time and advice, now I have got some homework to do!

Cheer's

Rick.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
andrewpreece

"Rick" wrote in message
om...
Sacha wrote in message

[...]

I'm growing yew in a similar situation - Taxus Baccata Fastigiate Robusta or
somesuch, a narrow type of Irish yew, it will be only 25cm wide in 10 years
but will be 6 feet tall and impenetrable; the only problem is that it's
slow-growing,
6"/year so maybe no good for you.

Andy

Old 02-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

I'm growing yew in a similar situation - Taxus Baccata Fastigiate Robusta or
somesuch, a narrow type of Irish yew, it will be only 25cm wide in 10 years
but will be 6 feet tall and impenetrable; the only problem is that it's
slow-growing,
6"/year so maybe no good for you.

Start it in a long trough and lower it every year until..........

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Steve Harris

Consider this very fast combination:

Chain link fence PLUS an evergreen climber.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Steve Harris

Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM