GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Painting Fence (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/54723-painting-fence.html)

FF 09-03-2004 04:17 AM

Painting Fence

On 7 Mar 2004 18:07:59 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
In article ,
(Chris French and Helen Johnson)
wrote:

water based paint type stuff, that does nothing except look nice for
a bit))

Stuff does seem to make a pretty good job of shrugging off water.

IME, cheap fence panels with no extra protection will last for several
decades PROVIDED you keep the posts in good order.

Under some conditions. Under others, they will collapse within a
few years. If they are exposed to the wind and sun (when there is
any), they are usually OK.

Unless they blow down, like mine does!

Liz

shazzbat 10-03-2004 04:19 AM

Painting Fence

SNIP

Under some conditions. Under others, they will collapse within a
few years. If they are exposed to the wind and sun (when there is
any), they are usually OK.

Unless they blow down, like mine does!

Are you a professional? In the big storm of '87(?) the only fence in our row
of houses which came down was the one put up by a fencing firm. All the ones
we nailed up ourselves stayed up :-))

Steve

FF 10-03-2004 04:20 AM

Painting Fence

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:58:23 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

SNIP

Under some conditions. Under others, they will collapse within a
few years. If they are exposed to the wind and sun (when there is
any), they are usually OK.

Unless they blow down, like mine does!

Are you a professional?

Nope!

In the big storm of '87(?) the only fence in our row
of houses which came down was the one put up by a fencing firm. All the ones
we nailed up ourselves stayed up :-))

So would ours, I'm sure, but we're on the end of the row. One side of the garden
backs onto a park so the fence sees a bit more wear and tear. The back edge (the
longest) backs onto nature reserve, half of it is on a crumbling wall (the garden has
been extended) and you can only access one side because of the brambles. Oh, and
we're right on top of a windy hill.

If you're that good at fencing, you can come and fix mine:-)

Liz