Old 08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default GM Crops

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:08:07 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

When did you last hear a cuckoo?

Last spring and summer.

There's nothing wrong with your memory then :-)
Next question ....

Perhaps, but not necessarily.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
o.uk:

We've so over used pesticides, ripped out hedges, cleared ground cover
that we have lost vast numbers of birds, butterflies, wild flowers -
think DDT, alone banned, I think in 1947? When did you last hear a
cuckoo? The last time for me was in Tresco two years ago and that was
the first time for as long as I can remember.

I'm with you. I have no idea if GM crops are good or bad in the longterm,
nor am I qualified to pronounce on that (I am not sure anyone is yet.)

But I can see no good argument for testing them further in the UK - a tiny,
over-populated area where the potential benefits are small, and the risk
relatively high.

I don't object to Monsanto for being a multinational corporation. I object
to it because businesses that don't listen, don't explain, don't care, and
won't change, of any size, tend to screw up. When they do, they can make a
hell of a mess.

Victoria