Old 07-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Gill Hall

Default GM Crops

There is extensive coverage in the Independent this morning about the degree of
contamination in the US - quote: two-thirds of conventional crops in the US
are now contaminated with GM material, dooming organic agriculture and posing a
severe future risk to health - unquote. The latter statement is explored with
reference to the next generation of crops bred to produce industrial chemicals
and pharmaceuticals.

Even allowing for some hype, this is very disturbing news. We have written to
our MP, to Blair and to Brown before deploring the Government's desire to
railroad the UK into growing GM crops. I find myself very emotional over this
as I am committed to growing, buying and eating organic food and I want to
retain this choice. As I am preparing to write the next batch of letters, to
the supermarkets I buy from, to the government et al. can anybody suggest any
other ways (perhaps more effective) I can make my protest felt?

I realise that not everyone may share my view!

Gill Hall

Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Sacha

Gill Hall7/3/04 10:49

[...]

The Daily Mail ran an article the other day about illnesses among people in
the Phillipines (IIRC) and the strong suspicion of links between that and GM
maize recently planted near their homes. You could try copying that and
sending it with your protests.
I believe quite a lot of research has been done in Canada where it's said
there are big regrets over the planting of GM maize and its consequent
effect upon the environment.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

The Daily Mail ran an article the other day about illnesses among people in
the Phillipines (IIRC) and the strong suspicion of links between that and GM
maize recently planted near their homes. You could try copying that and
sending it with your protests.

I wouldn't bother. With the CURRENT modifications, the chances of a
direct effect are negligible; if there is a link, it will be due to
the pesticides used. I don't think that even Monsanto are currently
field testing their really nasty additions in food crops - the risk
of a backlash is too high even for them.

I believe quite a lot of research has been done in Canada where it's said
there are big regrets over the planting of GM maize and its consequent
effect upon the environment.

That is the more serious issue. It is a pretty minor issue here, as
maize is a fairly minor crop and it has no close wild relatives in
the UK. GM rape, on the other hand :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Sacha

Nick Maclaren7/3/04 6:05

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

The Daily Mail ran an article the other day about illnesses among people in
the Phillipines (IIRC) and the strong suspicion of links between that and GM
maize recently planted near their homes. You could try copying that and
sending it with your protests.

I wouldn't bother. With the CURRENT modifications, the chances of a
direct effect are negligible; if there is a link, it will be due to
the pesticides used.

Not trusting my ageing memory, I looked for and found the article. It was
in yesterday's Mail and says: A Philippine politician who is also a farmer
planted *last year* 1.75 hectares of corn seed from Monsanto. The seed has
an inbuilt pesticide gene, designed to poison the stem borer insect. The
flowering of the corn stalks in July coincided with an outbreak of fever,
respiratory, skin and stomach disorders among villagers living within 100
metres of the field. It's alleged that eight months later some are still
suffering symptoms and it's also alleged that two horses died suddenly,
frothing at the mouth after suffering seizures. The article goes on to say
that Monsanto offered 'Bt corn' which contains a gene for an iinsect-killing
toxin, isolated from the soil microbe 'Bacilus thuringiensis. The Monsanto
produced strain is Dekalb 818YG. "The farmers were told that they could sow
corn in May, when the stem borer is at its most voracious, without recourse
to pesticide. But the Bt corn seed cost twice as much as the one the
farmers were already using. Asked why, Monsanto officials replied: 'You
are paying for peace of mind.'"
When the corn flowered "a large number of villagers fell inexplicably ill."
When they moved a couple of miles away, all but one recovered quickly.
Others around that field fell ill, too.
Locals have also pointed out the "discolouration and brittleness of the
leaves on pineapples plants".
Monsanto mounted a PR offensive and one ploy was to gather villagers
together, cook cobs and eat them, telling villagers they were perfectly
safe. The villagers answers was that Monsanto officials were welcome to eat
all of them.
The Norwegian Institute of Gene Ecology became involved. Der Traavik who
was in Mindanao in relation to a separate study on Bt corn offered to
analyse the blood of sick villagers. Blood was taken from 38 individuals
and sent to his lab in Norway. The first results of the tests suggest that
the villagers immune systems had reacted to the Bt corn toxin. but says that
those results alone do not conclusively prove a cause and effect. Dr
Traavik suggests however that it can be interpreted as an early warning and
should encourage serious further study.

He said that when he started out "25 years ago, I was a fanatical proponent
of modern biotechnology........but now I am a sceptic because genetic
modification is so unpredictable. It is assumed the results will be the
same in the Philippines as in the American Mid-West. But you can never
predict the given amount of toxin from a given plant in a given place.' And
he described Monsanto's reaction as 'very, very unhelpful.'"

I don't think that even Monsanto are currently
field testing their really nasty additions in food crops - the risk
of a backlash is too high even for them.

It seems they may have that backlash already.

I believe quite a lot of research has been done in Canada where it's said
there are big regrets over the planting of GM maize and its consequent
effect upon the environment.

That is the more serious issue. It is a pretty minor issue here, as
maize is a fairly minor crop and it has no close wild relatives in
the UK. GM rape, on the other hand :-(

Plenty of maize is grown down here for cattle fodder. England is small,
Canada is big but Canada is said to regret its decision BIG time.

From a study conducted by Cornell University, it is said that Monarch
butterflies died after being fed with leaves dusted with pollen from Bt corn
engineered by Monsanto.'

We've so over used pesticides, ripped out hedges, cleared ground cover that
we have lost vast numbers of birds, butterflies, wild flowers - think DDT,
alone banned, I think in 1947? When did you last hear a cuckoo? The last
time for me was in Tresco two years ago and that was the first time for as
long as I can remember.
Why on earth would we willingly bring upon ourselves something potentially
worse that is irreversible? We stopped using DDT, we can reduce the use of
pesticides, we could replant hedgerows. It is ironic, I think, that while
on the one hand we all talk of such things here as ecologically desirable,
governments also try to force GM foods upon us because they will make money.
That's the only reason for them. Monsanto et al are not charities.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

When did you last hear a cuckoo?

Last spring and summer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Old 08-03-2004, 09:28 AM
martin

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:08:07 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

When did you last hear a cuckoo?

Last spring and summer.

There's nothing wrong with your memory then :-)
Next question ....
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 08-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:08:07 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
| wrote:
| The message
| from Sacha contains these words:
|
| When did you last hear a cuckoo?
|
| Last spring and summer.
|
| There's nothing wrong with your memory then :-)
| Next question ....

I last heard one a couple of decades back, and there's nothing
much wrong with my memory, either. I can't say the same about
my hearing :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Bob Scratchit

On 8 Mar 2004 09:42:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:08:07 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
| wrote:
| The message
| from Sacha contains these words:
|
| When did you last hear a cuckoo?
|
| Last spring and summer.
|
| There's nothing wrong with your memory then :-)
| Next question ....

I last heard one a couple of decades back,

That explains an awful lot. You really should get out more!

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com
Old 08-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:

| There's a report in a newspaper that a man in Brazil went into
| hospital with an ear problem and woke up after the operation to find
| he had had a vasectomy. Be very careful! :-)

That wouldn't worry me unduly :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.