Old 07-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Trevor Tyrrell

Default Compost cooked food?

I've been told not to compost cooked food (vegetables - obviously not meat!)

Why is this - what difference could it make?

Thanks

---

Old 07-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Robert

:
: Why is this - what difference could it make?
:
: Thanks
:
:

One good reason is that it can attract rats and another is that it all
settles into a 'mush' that does not allow air in for the proper composting
to occur

Old 07-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Kay Easton

In article 4kL2c.3018$54.1804@newsfe1-win, Trevor Tyrrell
writes
I've been told not to compost cooked food (vegetables - obviously not meat!)

Why is this - what difference could it make?

People think it attracts rats.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 4kL2c.3018$54.1804@newsfe1-win
from "Trevor Tyrrell" contains these words:

I've been told not to compost cooked food (vegetables - obviously not meat!)

Why is this - what difference could it make?

I do - and meat - if there is any left. Bones go in too. Especially
bones. As long as you put in plenty of fibrous stuff to allow air to it,
and you can keep the rats out there's no reason why you shouldn't.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:10:39 -0000, "Trevor Tyrrell"
wrote:

I've been told not to compost cooked food (vegetables - obviously not meat!)

Why is this - what difference could it make?

I have a vegetarian compost pile. That is, only raw veg and fruit
trimmings, coffee grounds, rinsed&crushed eggshells, etc. (plus the
other usual non-food items). I don't add any cooked or prepared food
leftovers unless they contain no butter, oil, salt, (salad dressing)
because I don't want any grease or salt in my compost. Except for the
first day after I put out a canteloupe rind, the pile is virtually
odor-free.